ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks TT!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Farewell to Strummer Return to archive
12-31-02 09:45 AM
LadyJane From the BBC:

"The funeral of Clash star Joe Strummer, who died of heart failure last week aged 50, has taken place in west London.
The singer died on 23 December at his home after taking his dog for a walk.

The cortege went past old Clash haunts
It is believed the singer, whose real name was John Mellor, had a hereditary heart condition.

Strummer led The Clash from the council estates of Ladbroke Grove, west London to worldwide success in the late 1970s, and recently found more success with his new band The Mescaleros.

The service was held in private at West London Crematorium, attended by Strummer's widow Lucinda, two daughters and a step-daughter.

The funeral cortege passed what used to be The Elgin pub in Ladbroke Grove, where The Clash played some of their earliest gigs 25 years ago.

Strummer's wife Lucinda, who was with her husband when he died, had asked people not to send flowers but instead to donate funds to an Aids charity concert in South Africa that Strummer was due to attend in February.

Reunion plan

Guests at the funeral are thought to have included his former bandmates Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon.

Before Strummer's death, Clash members were believed to be considering a one-off reunion in 2003, as part of their induction ceremony at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in the US.

But Strummer was keen to promote the work of The Mescaleros, who had only recently started to get media attention.

Interviewed by BBC News Online in 2001, he said of his new band: "We'd like to be known as one of the good groups from London... I haven't even started yet."

Rest in Peace, Joe! We should all be thankful on This New Year's Eve that our beloved Rolling Stones are not only still amongst us, but continue to provide us with live shows that get better with time!!

LadyJ

12-31-02 09:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm really having a hard time with Joe passing.

I tried to listen to Global A-Go-Go yesterday, and couldn't even get through Johnny Appleseed. I'd hear his voice, and I just couldn't bear to listen. I had to turn it off. Maybe in a few weeks I'll give it another go.
12-31-02 09:59 AM
Maxlugar "The singer died on 23 December at his home after taking his dog for a walk."

You don't suppose his dog is gay do you?

That'll give the 'ol ticker a jolt, heh SS'y?

Where was Kipper that day?

MACKY!
12-31-02 10:14 AM
Sir Stonesalot Kipper just went on vacation with his new "life partner" to Key West.

Kipper was not gay before Freddy came to my house this past Saturday. But Fred's constant buggering of my dog "turned" poor Kipper.

I tried everything to stop it. I forced him to watch football on TV. I made him drink beer. I even bought him a membership to one of those bestiality web sites. That one will be hard to explain when the CC bill shows up. But nothing worked.

Hell, I even tried your Dirty Work suggestion. But Kipper just put in a Rupal CD instead.

He is too far gone.

I hope Kipper remembers to use a condom.