ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!
Background image by Irina!
Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Songs about specific women Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th December 2007 11:09 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Carrie Ann by the Hollies was about Marianne Faithful. No?
Layla of course was about Patti Boyd.
Oh Yoko by Lennon was about Yoko Ono I suspect.
Stones songs are a bit hard to nail down...there's no real consenus about who "Angie" actually is.

I'm still trying to discover who the "Strange Stray Cat" was/is.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
19th December 2007 11:23 AM
Gazza Most of their subject songs - Mick especially- tend to be about 'composites', I think - or else it could be pure invention. I dont think 'Angie' is about anyone in particular, although Mick said (half jokingly it seemed) in an MTV Europe interview in the mid 90s it was about some now-deceased old actress.

Occasionally the subject tends to be obvious. "Respectable" about Bianca and Jagger's solo 'Evening Gown' for Jerry, for example. On a less personal level, 'Dangerous Beauty' is quite obviously about Lynndie England.

They've also been known to write songs which appear to be about women but which are actually more likely to be about their own complex relationship....Worried About You being one. Sweethearts Together possibly another. Not to mention the solo songs written when their relationship was at a low ebb in the late 80s (Shoot off Your Mouth/Party Doll/You Dont Move Me, etc)
[Edited by Gazza]
19th December 2007 11:25 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Carrie Ann by the Hollies was about Marianne Faithful. No?
Layla of course was about Patti Boyd.
Oh Yoko by Lennon was about Yoko Ono I suspect.
Stones songs are a bit hard to nail down...there's no real consenus about who "Angie" actually is.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Pattie Boyd/Harrison was the muse for more than any other songs I'd bet. Not only was Layla about her, but off the same album, so was Bell Bottom Blues. As was George's Something, and Clapton's Wonderful Tonight.

Riffy
19th December 2007 11:36 AM
JohnLeeHacker I always thought "Angie" was about Angela Bowie...?
19th December 2007 11:44 AM
Riffhard
quote:
JohnLeeHacker wrote:
I always thought "Angie" was about Angela Bowie...?

That was mostly speculation that Mick never really dismissed. However, in more recent times Jagger has laughed off all suggestions that it was about Angela, or David himself even! Mick, as Gazza pointed out, has maintained that most of his songs are not about anyone in particular, but rather composites of several different people.

In some cases there can be no doubt that his muse is Keith himself. Mixed Emotions (Mick's Emotions) was certainly about the infighting going on between the Glimmer Twins in the mid to late 80's. As was Keith's You Don't Move Me from Talk Is Cheap. As Gazza once again astutely points out.

Riffy
19th December 2007 12:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Mandy Smith?
19th December 2007 12:11 PM
monkey_man Les Claypool always denied that "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" was about Ms. Ryder but we all know the truth.
19th December 2007 12:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
JohnLeeHacker wrote:
I always thought "Angie" was about Angela Bowie...?

I think if you were a songwriter who was poking the wife of one of your best friends, it might be a bit of a dead giveaway on the discretion front to not only write a song about it but to not even change her name.....!

There's no rumour about Jagger and Angie even having any sort of relationship as far as I'm aware (God forbid), which makes the assumption that many have that the song is about her a bit strange.
19th December 2007 12:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
19th December 2007 01:02 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think if you were a songwriter who was poking the wife of one of your best friends, it might be a bit of a dead giveaway on the discretion front to not only write a song about it but to not even change her name.....!

There's no rumour about Jagger and Angie even having any sort of relationship as far as I'm aware (God forbid), which makes the assumption that many have that the song is about her a bit strange.

Yeah, that's something else, I have a tape of Angie Bowie on Geraldo show that I might upload to Youtube, where she denies that the song was about her, however when she made that remark about finding Jagger & Bowie in the same bed, she denied that there was any sexual involvement, but when she wrote the book "Backstage Passes" she asked for permission to use the lyrics of Angie for her book, she was denied, she hates Bowie because their son doesn't want anything to do with her, so she got revenge, by making that remark.
19th December 2007 01:05 PM
Highwire Rob Angela Bowie said it was true (her tryst with Mick and her namesake song) in Backstage Passes.

And we all know that book holds the God's Honest Truth LOL!
19th December 2007 01:12 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Angela Bowie said it was true (her tryst with Mick and her namesake song) in Backstage Passes.

And we all know that book holds the God's Honest Truth LOL!

For all we know, they (Jagger & Bowie) were passed out in bed from either drinking to much or being stoned, after all in those days, there was some serious drug use being done, Angie is trying to make $$$$$$$$$ because she had such a good time in the 70's, & all of a sudden she's cashing in on her name, she's got a resentment against both parties, so what better way to get back at them.
19th December 2007 01:15 PM
Sioux I also heard that "Angie" was about Anita. Keith wrote the song, no?

And I read that "Stupid Girl", "Under My Thumb", 19th Nervous Breakdown", "Yesterday's Papers", and "Out Of Time" were about Chrissy Shrimpton. Maybe also a composite of others too, some of them, but they were written during the time Mick was with her.

I've heard "YCAGWYW" and "Wild Horses" attributed to both Marianne and Anita. And "Play With Fire" and "Let's Spend The Night Together" about Marianne. Also, maybe, "Child of The Moon", "Complicated", "She's A Rainbow", and "She Smiled Sweetly" about Marianne.....?

Patti Boyd was also supposedly the inspiration for "I Need You" and "For You Blue" in addition to the others mentioned.

Edie Sedgwich maybe inspiried "Just Like A Woman", "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Leopard-Skin Pill Box Hat".

"Dear Prudence" was for Prudence Farrow, Mia's sis

Michelle Phillips inspired "Go Where You Wanna Go", "Words of Love", and "I Saw Her Again Last Night".

"Jennifer Juniper" was about Jenny Boyd, Patti's sis.

"Sunshine Superman" was about Linda Lawrence.

"Ruby Tuesday" about Linda Keith...?

"The Wind Cries Mary" supposedly about Kathy Etchingham, Hendrix's girl at the time.

Nico.....{for her or about her}..."I'm Not Sayin'" {Gordon Lightfoot}, "The Last Mile" {Jimmy Page}, "I'll Be Your Mirror" {Lou Reed}, "These Days" {Jackson Browne}, "I'll Keep It With Mine" {Dylan}, "We Will Fall" {Iggy Pop}, "Take This Longing" {Leonard Cohen}.

Who knows for sure? But it's really interesting to speculate...
19th December 2007 01:19 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Sioux wrote:
I also heard that "Angie" was about Anita. Keith wrote the song, no?

And I read that "Stupid Girl", "Under My Thumb", 19th Nervous Breakdown", "Yesterday's Papers", and "Out Of Time" were about Chrissy Shrimpton. Maybe also a composite of others too, some of them, but they were written during the time Mick was with her.

I've heard "YCAGWYW" and "Wild Horses" attributed to both Marianne and Anita. And "Play With Fire" and "Let's Spend The Night Together" about Marianne. Also, maybe, "Child of The Moon", "Complicated", "She's A Rainbow", and "She Smiled Sweetly" about Marianne.....?

Patti Boyd was also supposedly the inspiration for "I Need You" and "For You Blue" in addition to the others mentioned.

Edie Sedgwich maybe inspiried "Just Like A Woman", "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Leopard-Skin Pill Box Hat".

"Dear Prudence" was for Prudence Farrow, Mia's sis

Michelle Phillips inspired "Go Where You Wanna Go", "Words of Love", and "I Saw Her Again Last Night".

"Jennifer Juniper" was about Jenny Boyd, Patti's sis.

"Sunshine Superman" was about Linda Lawrence.

"Ruby Tuesday" about Linda Keith...?

"The Wind Cries Mary" supposedly about Kathy Etchingham, Hendrix's girl at the time.

Nico.....{for her or about her}..."I'm Not Sayin'" {Gordon Lightfoot}, "The Last Mile" {Jimmy Page}, "I'll Be Your Mirror" {Lou Reed}, "These Days" {Jackson Browne}, "I'll Keep It With Mine" {Dylan}, "We Will Fall" {Iggy Pop}, "Take This Longing" {Leonard Cohen}.

Who knows for sure? But it's really interesting to speculate...

Thank you Sioux for your imput, you know a lot about the subject.
19th December 2007 01:23 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

For all we know, they (Jagger & Bowie) were passed out in bed from either drinking to much or being stoned, after all in those days, there was some serious drug use being done, Angie is trying to make $$$$$$$$$ because she had such a good time in the 70's, & all of a sudden she's cashing in on her name, she's got a resentment against both parties, so what better way to get back at them.

I agree with you guitarman53. I think Angie must also have been imbibing those bottles of urine that David was keeping in the fridge!

If her trashy accounts are to be believed, she essentially admitted to participating in statutory rape of a schoolgirl.
19th December 2007 01:43 PM
Stablehand
19th December 2007 01:56 PM
Highwire Rob Stablehand!

****?****

quote:
A stable hand told Reuters, "If they get too nervous or start to panic during the concert, they'll get sedatives," referring to the horses, not certain band members...

quote:
Two stablehands for ROLLING STONES rocker CHARLIE WATTS have been found dead in mysterious circumstances near the drummer's English country farm...

Stablehand! Are you safe, my friend?
19th December 2007 01:56 PM
sssoul Pattie Boyd was apparently also the inspiration for Mystifies Me and Cancel Everything - maybe Breathe On Me as well (i may be misremembering that one, though) - she absolutely has inspired miles and miles of glorious music.

and as for Angie ... yeah it's Keith who came up with the music/name; it's Nick Kent who started the story that it "really means Anita-i-need-you", and he got the wrong song (try Happy, Nick). Keith's said he composed Angie for his daughter, just like he composed Wild Horses for his son. (she was christened Dandelion Angela, and apparently was called Angela/Angie right from the start.)
[Edited by sssoul]
19th December 2007 02:18 PM
Stablehand
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Stablehand!

****?****

Stablehand! Are you safe, my friend?

Yes, Sir.
Thank you for the information. Sir.

19th December 2007 02:52 PM
Bruno
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Don´t forget the stunning "Edie" by the Cult.

Keith himself says in the inner notes of Jump Back that he wrote Angie to his daughter. I think he is a reliable source.
19th December 2007 03:23 PM
Blowey
quote:
Bruno wrote:

Don´t forget the stunning "Edie" by the Cult.

OOOOOOOH!!!

YOU MAKE BLOWEY GIDDY !!!!!!!!!!!

I remain ......your 'kins

'kins , Est. pretty gosh darn recently ---- BUT loved by Everybody .
19th December 2007 03:42 PM
glencar Worried About You was about Keith? Interesting!
19th December 2007 06:18 PM
guitarman53 object width="425" height="355">

Angie about finding Jagger & Bowie in the same bed.
[Edited by guitarman53]
19th December 2007 06:23 PM
Joey " Worried About You was about Keith? Interesting! "

< ---- You raise an interesting point my L.I.R.R. travelling , Robert Moses Loving , Jones Beach attending , Grand Canyon loving pal .

That is RIGHT Lil' Fella ( Oh , .... Little Fiji .. Lil' Fiji )

The Wall was just Warmed Over Arthur .

'kins , Est. 1999 and loved by everyone .

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkins !

[cc:kins]
[Edited by Joey]
19th December 2007 06:29 PM
glencar You have GOT to get new material. Might I suggest that you look into this "Blowey" character? His stuff is HIGHLY entertaining!
19th December 2007 06:31 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
object width="425" height="355">

Angie about finding Jagger & Bowie in the same bed.
[Edited by guitarman53]

Thanks for going the extra mile. I've seen it before, but it's still great...I wonder how many books she sold off that show.
19th December 2007 06:59 PM
guitarman53
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Thanks for going the extra mile. I've seen it before, but it's still great...I wonder how many books she sold off that show.

Right on, she's somebody that had such a high life when Bowie was big, now she's got nothing, but making up stories to sell her book, "Backstage Passes" & this was made in 1990, when Bowie was touring for the Sound & Vision tour, what a rip-off, she got pissed because The Stones denied her permission to use lyrics for "Angie" in her book.
19th December 2007 07:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Worried About You was about Keith? Interesting!

Apparently, although theyve never actually confirmed it in interviews to my knowledge.
19th December 2007 07:12 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Right on, she's somebody that had such a high life when Bowie was big, now she's got nothing, but making up stories to sell her book, "Backstage Passes" & this was made in 1990, when Bowie was touring for the Sound & Vision tour, what a rip-off, she got pissed because The Stones denied her permission to use lyrics for "Angie" in her book.

I wonder how far that request made it up the foodchain.....Benard?
19th December 2007 07:24 PM
Gazza Probably about as far as the cleaning lady at their publishing office, I would imagine....
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)