ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Where is Daryl Jones during all of this?......From Ian Return to archive
December 26th, 2004 04:14 AM
IanBillen
Ok,
We all are wondering about the Stones and their current recordings but what about the bass player for these sessions?
Where is Daryl Jones? Is he going to be on this album? We know Mick and Keith have been playing bass during some of this process but who is to take this part on the actual recordings of these writings? Does anyone know of Daryl Jone's current doings? This could lend a hand at filling us in.
Ian
December 26th, 2004 09:21 AM
cabledogg2 I work with a guy who is Darryl's cousin. He says that darryl is out in L.A. (doing what i don't know)
December 26th, 2004 09:22 AM
Some Guy
quote:
cabledogg2 wrote:
I work with a guy who is Darryl's cousin. He says that darryl is out in L.A. (doing what i don't know)

brunch
December 26th, 2004 11:29 AM
Bloozehound supposively Keiths playing the bass
December 26th, 2004 11:39 AM
T&A DJ didn't play much bass on B2B - he's more a part of the touring act.
December 26th, 2004 12:17 PM
gypsy I slept with a guy whose niece has a friend who slept with a friend of Darryl's cousin's babymama, and Bill Wyman will be on bass next tour.
December 26th, 2004 12:23 PM
Bloozehound daryls cousin's name is babymama?
December 26th, 2004 01:13 PM
gypsy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
daryls cousin's name is babymama?

creep
December 26th, 2004 01:27 PM
kath wow. you guys get to sleep with the coolest people......
December 26th, 2004 01:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
kath wrote:
wow. you guys get to sleep with the coolest people......

We ARE the koolest people young lady!
December 26th, 2004 01:43 PM
kath of course you are!! what was i thinking?
December 26th, 2004 01:51 PM
Jair
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

(...)Does anyone know of Daryl Jone's current doings? This could lend a hand at filling us in.
Ian

He is hidden drunk in my home. You know, he have that problem... Also, he eats alot. Just seen to believe.
At nights sometimes he sleep at garage with my cats.
One of my neighbor, Mary, once asked me "who's that guy".
I had to lie to her and also to my family.
To my kid I had to said he was an old colegue of school, and to my wife I said he was just a beggar asking for shelter. As we're in christmas she said Ok.
About Mary...Humnn, don't know, but I think he bags her.

Now I will have to see a doctor to him because he has a really bad halit. I think is because the drink thing. I don't know what he is been putting at his mouth all these last days, except maybe Mary.

Also, he took several of my CDs, mostly Britney & Madonna, which, btw, he said "the bass is very good", in some old tracks.

Did I help you somehow?
No thanks needed, please.

December 26th, 2004 05:21 PM
IanBillen
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ian
December 26th, 2004 05:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Ok,
We all are wondering about the Stones and their current recordings but what about the bass player for these sessions?
Where is Daryl Jones? Is he going to be on this album? We know Mick and Keith have been playing bass during some of this process but who is to take this part on the actual recordings of these writings? Does anyone know of Daryl Jone's current doings? This could lend a hand at filling us in.
Ian

same as the rest of the auxiliary musicians. They dont need them as theyve been mostly doing demos or basic tracks.

PS - Ronnie Wood wasnt mentioned as being part of the recent recording session either.
December 27th, 2004 12:27 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

same as the rest of the auxiliary musicians. They dont need them as theyve been mostly doing demos or basic tracks.

PS - Ronnie Wood wasnt mentioned as being part of the recent recording session either.

Yes I see there.
Very interesting. I am glad you replied. Keith said they are "finishing" the album. Don Was states they have just really
started. Kinda like they got a real good start on it but are by no means finishing. I wonder what the deal really is? Then there is talk of them finishing the album in New York within the next few weeks according to one article. Actually I think the article may of meant that they plan on finishing what they have already started in New York starting in a few weeks.

"They dont need them as theyve been mostly doing demos or basic tracks."

Well truly though Gazza,
We do not know if they are doing rough tracks, basic tracks, finished tracks, or what they have finished yet. Mick and Keith and Charlie could very well be going to New York just to mix the album. Most tracks could very well be already finished as far as their part goes. We have no idea what they have got done thus far. Do We?
Ian
December 27th, 2004 06:29 AM
corgi37 Who fucking knows or cares? If they go to NYC, or LA or whatever, i betcha Darryl Jones (or as Mick introduces him - Dar-ry-l Jo-nes!!) will catch up then and play music by numbers. Same with Lisa Fisher and Blondie.

And, going by b2b, Waddy Wachtel and 40 other musos.

How i wish for the days of only 5 guys on a track, with Stu tinkling away also.
December 27th, 2004 09:10 PM
IanBillen
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Who fucking knows or cares? If they go to NYC, or LA or whatever, i betcha Darryl Jones (or as Mick introduces him - Dar-ry-l Jo-nes!!) will catch up then and play music by numbers. Same with Lisa Fisher and Blondie.

And, going by b2b, Waddy Wachtel and 40 other musos.

How i wish for the days of only 5 guys on a track, with Stu tinkling away also.

I for one care and for very good reasons. Daryl Jones will bring a different type of sound to the tracks if he infact is there in the studio. Daryl can bring a very "thick", "fat" sound to The Rolling Stones music. Examples of this are Love is Strong, You got Me Rockin, Theif in The Night. ....and some others.

I am not neccessarily saying I prefer Daryl to be there. I am simply wondering if, he's there. For Daryl Jones can really change the Stones sound on certain numbers if they desire him to do such. This could give us a very small indication of the rythm sound on some of this album.

Ian
December 27th, 2004 10:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Well truly though Gazza,
We do not know if they are doing rough tracks, basic tracks, finished tracks, or what they have finished yet. Mick and Keith and Charlie could very well be going to New York just to mix the album. Most tracks could very well be already finished as far as their part goes. We have no idea what they have got done thus far. Do We?
Ian

well, the fact that Mick, Keith and (only eventually) Charlie were the only people mentioned as playing on these 'sessions' would suggest these tracks were/are not finished. It was also mentioned by Don Was that Mick and Keith were writing songs at that same time.

Somehow I cant imagine a Stones album merely ready to be mixed where much of the sessions consist of Mick playing bass, Keith as the only guitarist and fuck knows who playing the drums for most of the time as has been mentioned in recent press stories.

Lets face it, if the Stones are going to overdub guitar and bass parts on an album, they're hardly going to get Mick Jagger to do it. The idea of Mick overdubbing Darryl's bass parts for example is laughable.

Keith saying they are "Finishing" the album could mean anything. The songs could be written and demo'd. Theres most of the work done right there. "Finishing" the album early in the new year could take weeks or months. It doesnt mean its already almost all recorded.

EVERY Stones album as far back as I can remember has had sessions where Mick and Keith have got together to hammer out some rough demos etc. Then one or two others may come along for a while. I have several tapes of such sessions - they're far from 'finished' by any stretch of the imagination.

No Ronnie, no Chuck, no Darryl and hardly any Charlie at their most recent 'session' plus the fact that Mick and Keith were writing songs together within the last few weeks and trying out stuff where Mick plays bass, etc does not suggest to me an album near completion and ready to be mixed.

[Edited by Gazza]
December 27th, 2004 11:45 PM
Soldatti Mick played drums on early sessions for Steel Wheels and BTB too. They are doing demos now, the rest of the band will be back on the recording sessions.
December 28th, 2004 12:48 AM
erikjjf According to oldkr on Shidoobee, Ronnie HAS BEEN present at the recording sessions.
December 28th, 2004 02:52 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well, the fact that Mick, Keith and (only eventually) Charlie were the only people mentioned as playing on these 'sessions' would suggest these tracks were/are not finished. It was also mentioned by Don Was that Mick and Keith were writing songs at that same time.

Somehow I cant imagine a Stones album merely ready to be mixed where much of the sessions consist of Mick playing bass, Keith as the only guitarist and fuck knows who playing the drums for most of the time as has been mentioned in recent press stories.

Lets face it, if the Stones are going to overdub guitar and bass parts on an album, they're hardly going to get Mick Jagger to do it. The idea of Mick overdubbing Darryl's bass parts for example is laughable.

Keith saying they are "Finishing" the album could mean anything. The songs could be written and demo'd. Theres most of the work done right there. "Finishing" the album early in the new year could take weeks or months. It doesnt mean its already almost all recorded.

EVERY Stones album as far back as I can remember has had sessions where Mick and Keith have got together to hammer out some rough demos etc. Then one or two others may come along for a while. I have several tapes of such sessions - they're far from 'finished' by any stretch of the imagination.

No Ronnie, no Chuck, no Darryl and hardly any Charlie at their most recent 'session' plus the fact that Mick and Keith were writing songs together within the last few weeks and trying out stuff where Mick plays bass, etc does not suggest to me an album near completion and ready to be mixed.

All good points. But I do think Ronnie was there as was just stated here on a post. Bill Wyman stated Charlie had just finished recording with the rest of The Rolling Stones (not just Mick and Keith. That is why I thought maybe they over-dubbed and finished up what was left from Licks recording on afterward and the newer songs they will record in the upcoming session with Daryl joining in and whoever eles. Just opinion here but I really think that alot of these songs that are suggested for placement on the new album are recorded, and ready for mixing. I do believe a last solid batch of songs will be recorded and added to them to choose from in the session upcoming. Then all will be mixed down and mastered. I think 60% of this album is done in terms of recording already. Trouble is it will be a long while before we get the recording era's the albums material is from. We will of probably already bought and gotten used to the album before we will be aware of that.
Ian

[Edited by Gazza]

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood