ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The album will be completed in New York in the next few weeks Return to archive
December 23rd, 2004 08:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Nothing apparently new from what we have read here, there and everywhere but a nice refresh

Stones go back to their roots

Dec 23 2004

There's been a whisper that the Rolling Stones might be globe-trotting on a new world tour next year.

And it seems that the veteran rockers have a new sound to show off.

Don Was, their producer, said Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have gone back to their roots, for the album which will be completed in New York in the next few weeks.

"Mick and Keith are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late 60s," he told Billboard.com.

"I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."
December 23rd, 2004 09:01 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl obMaxLugar: It's Coming
December 23rd, 2004 09:18 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."

Yeah....so true. Hell, I might even buy it.
December 23rd, 2004 09:56 AM
Gazza thats the same quote from Don Was that we read about a few weeks ago - with the exception of the bit about New York.

Did Was actually SAY that, or did the writer just add it himself? Odd that this bit wasnt reported in the original Billboard interview

strange
December 23rd, 2004 10:37 AM
egon Did they take x-mas & new year in consideration when estimating?
Thinks tend to slow down durung these days. (i know I am)
December 23rd, 2004 10:51 AM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:
Did they take x-mas & new year in consideration when estimating?
Thinks tend to slow down durung these days. (i know I am)

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis !
December 23rd, 2004 01:35 PM
Jair I dont belive Don Was, Billboard and Rolling Stone magazine.

But I believe in Mick & Keith
December 23rd, 2004 06:50 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
And it seems that the veteran rockers have a new sound to show off.

Don Was, their producer, said Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have gone back to their roots, for the album which will be completed in New York in the next few weeks.

"Mick and Keith are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late 60s," he told Billboard.com.

"I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."

It sounds good, just hope it turns out not to be just some gimmick or the usual hype.

Anyone have any juicy gossip to spill, or care to speculate a bit?

December 23rd, 2004 07:10 PM
Poplar
I speculate that this is hype like we always hear...
nonetheless - i still predicta good album.
December 23rd, 2004 07:50 PM
Some Guy for the album which will be completed in New York in the next few weeks.
Giddy as a schoolgirl!!!!
December 23rd, 2004 08:04 PM
Gazza They might complete the recordings relatively quickly, but I'd seriously doubt they'll release it until pretty close to a tour being announced or actually starting....
December 23rd, 2004 08:43 PM
Soldatti I think that the album will be ready in March and released in July (like Voodoo Lounge) with a new tour in August.
December 23rd, 2004 09:08 PM
kath sounds good to me!!
December 23rd, 2004 11:52 PM
rogerriffin She was hot says: "New York Is cold and damp" better they could finish the album in another place.

(sorry, but when i was learning the post, i was listening She was hot, ji ji ji)

December 24th, 2004 12:42 AM
Maxlugar It's Coming II!

December 24th, 2004 02:34 AM
IanBillen
Where was this bit taken from?

I think they will spend some more quality time in the studio on recording it. But then remember folks,
1.it will still need mixed. This will take some weeks to complete in itself.
2.Then you have the mastering of the mixes which will take a bit (I don't know, I am guessing 2 or 3 more weeks on top of everything).
3.Then Art work while all of this is going on or at the end.

So you are looking at late spring before it is actually released. And as Gazza said they may wait to release it with the tour start, which is what they usually do as of the last 25 years.
The good news seems to be that a large portion of this album is for the most part taken care of. Now I hope they spend what time they can to really produce a 110% quality album we will all love. I am sure they realize they are on the spot with this one and really need to deliver.

Ian
December 24th, 2004 06:07 AM
corgi37 Man, how many times has a new Stones record been referred to "best since Exile"?

Or, "they are returning to their roots!"

Wasnt VL supposed to be all of those 2 things?

Just so long as its half way good, and not tired, i'll be happy. In other words, nothing like the 4 dirges they tacked onto 40licks. Now, i will say this. I am heartedly sick to death of Keith trying to be a crooner, but if Nearness of you is on it, i'll be fine with that.

And, please, please, please, select an appropriate 1st single.
December 24th, 2004 09:39 AM
J.J.Flash What the hell?!?!? Is that only a joke or kind of a true Xmas gift?!?!?

WOW!
December 24th, 2004 11:23 AM
mac_daddy interesting news, but it looks like old don is gonna walk the dinosaur next week, and he ain't doin' it in NYC...

oh, the stones are barely metioned in the article - but are listed as a resume highlight...

December 23, 2004
Was (Not Was) are (yes, again)

The mordant '80s funksters are back, definitely older if not wiser.

Together again
By Richard Cromelin, Times Staff Writer

In the early '80s, the tranquillity of Morning in America was disrupted by a fearsome funk hybrid out of Detroit, a crazy melange of dance music and spoken collage, heavy-metal guitar and beat poetry, free jazz and Motown.

While the music created by the band known as Was (Not Was) embodied the renegade spirit, the lyrics to songs such as "I Blew Up the United States" and "Knocked Down, Made Small" depicted damaged and drifting souls whose struggles suggested that all was not as well as the nation's leadership proclaimed.

Twenty years later, the right rules again, which might be as good a reason as any for Was (Not Was) to return after a 14-year hiatus.

"We started in the Reagan era. That's the resonance of doing this again," says David Weiss, known as David Was in the Was (Not Was) world. "It's such a shock to the system to have this crowd of crony capitalists back in Washington.... There has to be someone to wake everyone from this stupor and this fear that they're arrested in now."

For the group's co-leader, Don Fagenson (a.k.a. Don Was), the impetus was strictly personal. Cleaning out his house a year ago, he came across some old Was (Not Was) tour posters and started doing the math.

"Fifteen times around the world. It spanned at least a decade," he says. "Even to a 52-year-old guy, that's a big chunk of your life. The realization that we were 52 and not 25, that was the shocker. You better get down to it. We've been talking about it for a long time. What was missing was the fear factor."

The Wases are sitting in a lounge at a historic Hollywood recording studio where Don blossomed into a top-tier record producer on the side, overseeing Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time" and, with David, Bob Dylan's "Under the Red Sky." Other production clients included Brian Wilson, Ringo Starr and the Rolling Stones.

David, who plays reeds and writes the lyrics in Was (Not Was), has also done some production (Rickie Lee Jones, Holly Cole, et al.) during the group's hiatus, as well as writing TV scores and serving as music director for "The X Files" series and movie.

They've been stirring things up since they met at junior high school in Detroit. It's been an intense relationship. When they found that their facial expressions became distracting when they were writing songs together, they took to wearing masks during composing sessions. Don would don a JFK and David a Col. Sanders.

Whatever tensions surfaced around their breakup in 1993, they now have an easy camaraderie as they take a break from finishing up the first Was (Not Was) album since "What Up, Dog?" in 1988. They're talking to labels and expect an April release, after a "best of" collection.

Their rev-it-up tour (which includes shows at the two area House of Blues clubs next week) figures to reanimate the cult audience of like-minded malcontents they accrued in their first incarnation, when their subversively seductive sound even yielded a few hits, including "Walk the Dinosaur" and "Spy in the House of Love." There are plans for a tour in the spring with Algeria's Khaled and Mexican rocker Saul Hernandez.

Fiery R&B singer Sweet Pea Atkinson, a vocal focal point of the old band, is back for this round, as well as saxophonist David McMurray and guitarist Randy Jacobs. Drummer Sergio Gonzalez and keyboardist Tio Banks are fresh recruits.

"You can find a new universe every night to play in these songs," Don says of the group. "This band can stretch. We're not going to play these songs the same every night. We used to do good representations of the records. Now everyone knows how to listen better, and everyone's a little more relaxed. There's an intuitive lock when you've got 25, 30 years of history playing with people."

Was (Not Was) earned a reputation as a searing live dance band and became a critics' favorite for putting a cerebral slant on the relentless groove.

"I believe we're a pretty good reflection of the times we grew up in," Don says. "That's what it was like in Detroit. You really did see a couple of the MC5 guys playing on acid with Pharoah Sanders.... The idea was to do something new all the time, and that's what we were trying to do, we were trying to twist dance music around and put our own thing on it, and we drew from William Burroughs, Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, MC5, George Clinton, the Stooges, Bob Dylan, all the bebop stuff."

That mandate led to some memorably high-concept recordings, including "Shake Your Head," which paired Kim Basinger and Ozzy Osbourne.

They say it shut down because of increasing record-label indifference as commercial music shifted toward canned pop.

"You could sort of see the writing on the wall, that the kind of music we were making was not getting on the radio," Don says. "Now you can feel it switching back. It reminds me of when we did 'Nick of Time,' right in that room. If Bonnie hadn't made that record at that moment, someone else would have....

"People just wanted to hear someone really play the drums again, live. Something would have come along to fill that slot. And it feels the same to me now. It's just the end of the cycle.... It seems like it might be time for what we do again."

Was (Not Was)
Where: House of Blues Anaheim, 1530 S. Disneyland Drive, Anaheim
When: 7 p.m. Monday
Price: $25
Info: (714) 778-2583

Where: House of Blues, 8430 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood
When: 8 p.m. Tuesday
Price: $25
Info: (323) 848-5100

[Edited by mac_daddy]
December 24th, 2004 11:33 AM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:
sounds good to me!!

I am so excited that I just " soaped my crack "
December 24th, 2004 12:44 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am so excited that I just " soaped my crack "

Thats so oh four.
December 24th, 2004 12:56 PM
Lavendar I guess Joey, will be ready for all of it? LOL You cease to amaze me! One Wild and Crazy Dude, Grrr Baby, Very Grrrr!
December 25th, 2004 02:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
Other production clients included Brian Wilson, Ringo Starr and the Rolling Stones.

That's good, the Stones are "clients" of Don Was...
December 27th, 2004 07:02 PM
gotdablouse Hey, maybe that means they or rather *we* can get our money back due to Don's lack of interesting production ideas :-)
December 28th, 2004 01:53 AM
glencar Ha! Not a chance!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood