ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Slash Followed Richards Return to archive
December 22nd, 2004 09:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels SLASH FOLLOWED RICHARDS

Contactmusic.com
22/12/04

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist SLASH credits ROLLING STONE KEITH RICHARDS with inspiring him to become a musician.

The rocker grew up watching the Stones and was captivated by Richards' guitar skills and the way he handled being a rock icon.

Slash says, "Keith Richards is the s**t. If the Stones were the greatest narcissistic, chemically influenced rhythm and blues band ever, then Keith was their out-and-out party animal. He's utterly immersed in the notion of being a musician.

"Keith is so much more than some junkie rock'n'roll cliche.

"He's intellectual, he's aware of what he's up to. He's also in control."

"In high school I remember guys saying how s**tty the Stones were. That made me furious. Keith is an incredible musician, but he knows how to keep it simple."
December 22nd, 2004 10:03 PM
Soldatti Another one from Slash (he talked too much about Keith)

SLASH: KEITH RICHARDS Encouraged Me To Stay In GUNS N' ROSES - Dec. 22, 2004

Launch Radio Networks is reporting that VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash revealed that Keith Richards of the ROLLING STONES was instrumental in keeping him from quitting GUNS N' ROSES sooner then he did. Slash told the British magazine Mojo that the success he's currently enjoying as part of VELVET REVOLVER is a long way off from GNR's final days. He said, "GUNS N' ROSES was spinning its wheels. There was no way to get it back on track." Slash revealed that Richards also offered some advice on how to deal with Axl Rose during Slash's final days with the band. He explained, "The (ROLLING) STONES were recording 'Voodoo Lounge'... Keith asked me about what I was doing with GUNS, and I told him the situation with Axl. Keith said 'You never quit.'"

Slash added, "I thought a lot about what he said. Keith is one of the few people I look up to. (He gave me) the wherewithal to go back to rehearsal with a fresh attitude." Slash went on to say, "It kept me in there for as long as humanly possible. (Unfortunately) I was dealing with somebody who didn't want to do anything but drag the ship down."

Slash said Richards consoled him after he quit the band, and said, "There was nothing you could do."
December 22nd, 2004 10:42 PM
Poplar
word.
December 22nd, 2004 10:42 PM
Poplar
word.
December 23rd, 2004 06:15 AM
J.J.Flash Those who respect and admire Keith shall have their place..... That's why I admire Slash for a long time.

On GNR, when they chose to record and jam songs like JJF, SFTD, all of that was part of Slash's ambition, not that blonde cocksmoker named Axl. Axl actually couldn't stand the fact he needed to act like Jagger.

In the other hand, Slash has always recognized his admiration and passion for the real monsters of R'n'R. I remember him always good quoting on Alice Cooper, Jimi Hendrix and the Stones.

Bless him!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
December 24th, 2004 11:17 AM
mac_daddy i remember reading, back in the day, when gnr's "appetite" was the biggest thing going, that he thought that the stones should have died after "some girls" when they were still cool. i am almost positive that slash said that, not axl (but i dont have the energy or time to look it up - it was in a rolling stone mag, and if i remember correctly, gnr was the cover story. the article also talked about how aerosmith threw them off the tour b/c they were trying to clean up, and the guys from gnr were tempting them to go back and dabble on the dark side).

funny how things come around again (slash touting the stones)...

i wasnt that in to gnr - they always looked like big hair metal to me, and that crap drove me nuts, esp. since i grew up minutes away from the (sunset) Strip, where all that shit was going on. i did like appetite and the acoustic/demo disc that followed, but i thought that the double album was one of the most self-indulgent, overrated things i had ever heard - i still feel that way, as a matter of fact...

i will say, i always thought slash was a jimmy page wannabe (talented, nonetheless), and that it was izzy who seemed to really be into keef, for whatever that observation is worth...

but, if slash wants to hump keef's image and legacy a bit, more power to him...
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood