ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rockers Or Knights? Return to archive
December 22nd, 2004 09:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Rockers Or Knights?
12/21
Rolling Stone.com

From Rod to Ringo, odds on which Brit rockers are set to be knighted

When Eric Clapton was made Commander of the Order of the British Empire last month, he joined an elite group of British rockers, including Sting, Ray Davies and David Gilmour, who have received the royal honor. Generally awarded to scientists, civil servants and journalists, the CBE is one step below knight, which allows Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Elton John to use "Sir" in front of their names.
Considered the ultimate stamps of approval by high society, these citations haven't always been received well in the rock world. When Jagger was knighted last year, Keith Richards said he reacted with "cold, cold rage," and, if offered a knighthood, he would "tell them where they could put it." David Bowie refused his CBE in 2000. Following the ceremony, Clapton said, "As a kid, I would not have been able to accept this. I was against the establishment. Now I have grown up -- I really think it is an important thing to be able to set an example of some kind."

The betting experts at William Hill Bookmakers, a British firm that puts odds on everything from horse races to U.S. presidential elections, predict which rock stars are likely to follow in the footsteps of Sir Mick and Commander Clapton in the next decade.

Rod Stewart
Odds: 4 to 6
"He's proved himself at the highest level of rock music over a good long period," says firm spokesman Graham Sharpe.

Ringo Starr
Odds: even money
"Frankly, we were amazed he didn't have a CBE or higher honor already."

Charlie Watts
2 to 1
"He's conducted himself in a dignified manner throughout the Stones' career."

George Michael
Odds: 4 to 1
"He's suggesting he's going to give all future royalties to charity. But there are a few black marks."

Bono
Odds: 8 to 1
"He hasn't always been pro-government. And his Irish background could well not help his chances."

John Lydon (a.k.a. Johnny Rotten)
Odds: 50 to 1
"Not a chance!"

December 22nd, 2004 10:11 PM
Gazza Bono cant be a knight as he's not British. He can get an honorary knighthood however (KBE) like Bob Geldof or J. Paul Getty II did.

Whoever wrote this is a fucking idiot. George Michael, I mean, come on...brown marks, more like....
[Edited by Gazza]
December 23rd, 2004 06:33 AM
Hannalee I know Rod's angling for a K, but he's a lightweight compared with the others (metaphorcally speaking) and there are plenty I can think of who deserve it more.
December 23rd, 2004 11:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Have they knighted any footballers?
December 23rd, 2004 11:16 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
George Michael
Odds: 4 to 1
"He's suggesting he's going to give all future royalties to charity. But there are a few black marks."

i guess trolling for chicken, and wanking off in a public restroom at a beverly hills park, and soliciting an undercover cop for his, um, handiwork, isnt a disgrace enough to keep him from being a knight...

but i guess if they will give that gong to a guy who had his stomach pumped after going down on a donkey (or a horse), and swallowing, then george's five finger performance shouldn't disqualify him, either...
December 23rd, 2004 11:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Have they knighted any footballers?

Yes

Sir Stanley Matthews, Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Geoff Hurst are three that I can think of.

Matthews is unique in that he was knighted while still playing. He actually played top class football until he was 50! Hurst and Charlton were both stars of the 1966 World Cup winning team, but were not knighted until about 30 years later.

There have been a few managers, such as Sir Alf Ramsey (who managed the England World Cup winning team in'66), ex-Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby and current Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Quite a few sportsmen have received knighthoods, the most recent was Sir Stephen Redgrave, probably the greatest Olympian of modern times, who won his 5th successive rowing gold medal in Sydney in 2000
[Edited by Gazza]
December 23rd, 2004 11:24 AM
Gazza >but i guess if they will give that gong to a guy who had his stomach pumped after going down on a donkey (or a horse), and swallowing, then george's five finger performance shouldn't disqualify him, either...

who was that?
December 23rd, 2004 11:29 AM
Zeeta Elton?
December 23rd, 2004 12:03 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>but i guess if they will give that gong to a guy who had his stomach pumped after going down on a donkey (or a horse), and swallowing, then george's five finger performance shouldn't disqualify him, either...

who was that?

rod stewart
December 23rd, 2004 10:53 PM
Bloozehound " a guy who had his stomach pumped after going down on a donkey (or a horse), and swallowing, then george's five finger performance shouldn't disqualify him, either..."

donkey punch ?

the flying camel ?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood