ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What? Oh sure...another drinking thread...Part 8 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
November 8th, 2004 05:14 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

joey, have you changed your colostomy bag yet today?

Gyps ................I just soiled myself again ( fourth time today ).

Jacky Caked ! �

November 8th, 2004 05:15 PM
gypsy Lamby is really slackin'. She's going to have her work cut out for her if she doesn't uncake you soon.
November 8th, 2004 06:46 PM
egon
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Some say the Egyptians invented beer 4 or 5 millenia ago. Jars found in the desert show evidence of beermaking. Archeology is great, inn'it?

stop the lies!
November 9th, 2004 02:34 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
egon wrote:

stop the lies!

Never!
November 9th, 2004 03:40 AM
sirmoonie A man alone. In a San Jose hotel room.

With a mini-bar. That has booze in it. Glorious motherfucking booze.

The kind of fucking booze that even Jesus Fucking Christ would get fucking canned on. That kind of fucking booze. High order type sitch.

"Save the bombardier, Ronald!"
November 9th, 2004 10:31 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Lamby is really slackin'. She's going to have her work cut out for her if she doesn't uncake you soon.

Lamby Be Thinking too Much !

Joey " Ike " Turner Ewing ! �
November 9th, 2004 12:04 PM
gypsy word
November 9th, 2004 01:43 PM
SheRat
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
A man alone. In a San Jose hotel room.

With a mini-bar. That has booze in it. Glorious motherfucking booze.

The kind of fucking booze that even Jesus Fucking Christ would get fucking canned on. That kind of fucking booze. High order type sitch.

"Save the bombardier, Ronald!"

Are we making a little trip up to the Mitchell Bros this week, sirmoonie?

November 10th, 2004 07:13 PM
Bloozehound hello
November 11th, 2004 09:14 PM
parmeda tsk...tsk..tsk...

This dropped to page 2!!!!
Tomorrow is Friday and I would hate like hell to have Nanky start with the DT's looking for this.
November 12th, 2004 06:26 AM
egon Actually TODAY is Friday and i've been saving myself for this moment all week (my body is a temple).
Now, where are my little green friends?

November 12th, 2004 12:06 PM
Joey " Tomorrow is Friday and I would hate like hell to have Nanky start with the DT's looking for this. "

<------- You make Joey Giggle !
November 12th, 2004 02:11 PM
nankerphelge Thanks Pammy!

And I have always maintained that my body is a temple

Quite Buddah-esque!!

And now this:
CHILHOWIE, Va. (AP) - Fourteen cars of an 83-car Norfolk Southern train derailed near an industrial park, leaving the area smelling like a brewery Thursday.

About 20,000 gallons of beer leaked from three cars of the Roanoke-bound train, said railway spokesman Robin Chapman.

No one was injured when the cars skipped the tracks about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, Chapman said.

Investigating officers said the leak did not contaminate any nearby water sources nor affect any highways.

"Everything was contained away from the creek," said Jack Tolbert Jr. of the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

Authorities were investigating the cause of the derailment. All trains scheduled to use the tracks through Chilhowie were held until they were cleared Thursday evening.

[Edited by nankerphelge]
November 12th, 2004 05:05 PM
nankerphelge NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Jack Daniel's whiskey is liquor built on a legend: an Old No. 7 label, a recipe crafted at the nation's oldest distillery and a medal signifying it as the best whiskey in the world.
But the author of a Jack Daniel biography contends the company that runs the famed distillery has allowed that legend to grow so much that marketing spin has overtaken the facts, and that some of the most cherished notions about the whiskey and its founder are simply not true.

"It wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't pin so much of their marketing on these few items," said author Peter Krass. "But they really do."

Krass makes his case in "Blood & Whiskey: The Life and Times of Jack Daniel," and it has thrown him into a barroom brawl of words with spirits giant Brown-Forman Corp.

Both sides agree that Daniel was a true American success story who learned to make whiskey as a boy and struck out on his own with audacious marketing tactics that included shipping a keg to Queen Victoria.

But Krass said Daniel's was not the first registered distillery in the country and never won a gold medal for world's best whiskey.

On the Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 label, the whiskey is touted as being established and registered in 1866. Krass said land and deed records show Daniel didn't go into business until 1875.

Krass said it's also impossible that Jack's was the first registered distillery because many Northern distilleries were registered long before to comply with revenue laws.

Touting a document he said is from the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, Krass said Old No. 7 won a gold medal for best Tennessee whiskey, not best whiskey in the world. Seven others won medals for "world's best" American whiskey.

Finally, Krass takes issue with the distillery's claim that the origins of the Old No. 7 label are a mystery. The author said it was the number government regulators first used to identify the whiskey, later adopted by Daniel as the official label once customers became accustomed to seeing it on tax stamps.

Louisville, Ky.-based Brown-Forman counters that it has put together as complete a picture as possible, given the fact that much of the story of Daniel and his whiskey has been passed down from generation to generation. And the company points out that records are inconclusive due to the upheaval of the Civil War, Reconstruction, courthouse fires and Prohibition during the distillery's earlier years.

"Because of inadequate record-keeping there is no way to prove the points on the life of Jack - there is no way to prove even when he was born," Brown-Forman spokesman Phil Lynch said.

Mark Waymack, a professor at Loyola University Chicago and an author of a book on American whiskeys, suspects Krass is probably right.

"It's not an outright falsehood, but it is not necessarily what it's purported to be," he said. "A lot of the marketing in the whiskey industry is like that."

Krass said the dispute is hardly trivial "because through this misrepresentation Brown-Forman continues to build their Jack Daniel's brand to the possible detriment of their competitors."

Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 whiskey, also known as Black Label, is closing in on Johnnie Walker scotch whisky as the world's best-selling brand.

But Waymack said Jack Daniel's success was only partly due to marketing. Its rise to the top in the '60s and '70s was also due to charcoal filtering, which gives the whiskey a smoother taste.

Krass said he thought his research would compel the company to adjust its marketing literature and lore told in tours at the distillery in Lynchburg, one of Tennessee's top tourist attractions. But he said company executives have twice told him they won't be making any such changes.

"They'd just rather ignore it at this point," he said. "I think that they've got this huge legion of fans that they are hoodwinking."

Krass said the tales about Daniel started to gather steam when nephew Lem Motlow struggled to rebuild the business after Prohibition. And, he said, they really got out of hand in the 1960s after Brown-Forman bought the company and put its marketing might behind the Jack Daniel image.

Lynch said he liked the book and thinks it adds to the mystery surrounding Daniel's life, but there just isn't enough proof to change a story going back generations.

For instance, Lynch said, the distillery owns an old photo of Daniel's original office with a sign stating an 1866 inception - perhaps the date Jack's mentor started brewing the whiskey. And in the early 1940s, the U.S. Patent office signed off on the highest award for the world's best whiskey phrase, according to the company. Even the World's Fair documents aren't thorough, he said.

"The bottom line is there is no ironclad documentation around many of the points," Lynch said.

Krass, who lives in Hanover, N.H., and has spent a great deal of time with Jack Daniel's aficionados, doesn't think the company would lose many customers if it adjusted its literature to reflect his research - pointing to continuing popularity even after the flagship brand reduced its alcohol content from 86 to 80 proof.

'They are drinking Jack Daniel's like its a cult almost. It's a real culture," he said.

Krass said "probably about half" of the lore behind Jack Daniel is true.

"It's still an amazing story," Krass said, noting the distillery is one of the longest-running no matter which date is used for its inception. "He came out of the Civil War with $9 to become the wealthiest man in the area."

November 12th, 2004 10:16 PM
LadyJane Am I the ONLY one who likes to start the party a little later in the day????

Cheers...my fellow Stonesian brothas and sistahs.

LJ.
November 13th, 2004 11:35 AM
egon let's go!
November 13th, 2004 02:59 PM
nankerphelge Kicked another keg of Newcastle today!!

But I did so quite responsibly!
November 15th, 2004 04:46 AM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Kicked another keg of Newcastle today!!

But I did so quite responsibly!

November 16th, 2004 10:55 AM
nankerphelge BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - The latest round of the global legal battle between Czech brewery Budejovicky Budvar and U.S. beer giant Anheuser-Busch Ltd. remained unresolved Tuesday after the European Union's high court passed the trademark case back to judges in Finland.
The Finnish case is part of a tussle dating back almost a century and involving dozens of lawsuits around the world for rights to the Budweiser, Bud and Budvar beer labels.

Finland's supreme court sought advice from the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg after Anheuser-Busch brought an action in 1996 seeking to prevent the Czech brewer from calling its beers Budweiser, Bud, Budweiser Budvar and a series of other names.

While offering some pointers on the details of European trademark law, the Luxembourg court said it was up to the Finns to decide how the rules applied in the case. The EU judges took a similar decision last year, when the battle for Bud in Austria also came before them.

Budvar claims it has rights in Finland dating back to the 1960s. Anheuser-Busch points out that a Finnish court ruled that those rights had lapsed, but Budvar says international law protects its earlier rights.

The two companies are involved in more than 40 lawsuits fighting over the use of the name, a battle that started in 1906 when Budvar first exported beer to the United States.

Budejovicky Budvar was founded in 1895 in Ceske Budejovice - called Budweis by the German-speaking people that populated the area at the time. Beer has been brewed there since 1265.

The founders of Anheuser-Busch used the name Budweiser for their product because it was well-known in their German homeland. The St. Louis brewery got its start in 1852. It began producing Budweiser, America's first national beer brand, in 1876.

In the markets where the Czech brewer is barred from using the German version name of its premium lager, it has sought to sell it under its Czech name Budvar.

Since 2001, Budvar has exported to the United States under the name Czechvar.

Among recent legal rulings, the Czechs have claimed success in South Korea, Japan, Spain and Lithuania, while Anheuser-Busch cried victory in Nigerian and Hungarian courts.

November 16th, 2004 11:04 AM
Joey

Nanky ................................

You drunk yet .........?!?!

J .
November 16th, 2004 11:06 AM
egon joey,
my sources say that tomorrow night is going to be a booze filled night. who knows, somehow we might even have a jaggerbomb!
November 16th, 2004 11:07 AM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:
joey,
my sources say that tomorrow night is going to be a booze filled night. who knows, somehow we might even have a jaggerbomb!

Jaggerbomb .....?!?!

JAGGERBOMB .............?!?!?!

EGON !!!!!!!!! ... Did you say , " Jaggerbomb " ?!?!

Oh , Happy Happy Jo Jo !!!!�

Joey Jager
November 16th, 2004 11:11 AM
egon i did my friend. i'm gonna party lie it's mi bfday
November 16th, 2004 12:04 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
egon wrote:
i did my friend. i'm gonna party lie it's mi bfday

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
November 16th, 2004 02:57 PM
egon beautiful!

thanks stewed.
November 17th, 2004 12:04 AM
telecaster Yasser Arafat-Boozehound:

'Arafat's death caused by liver disease'
By JOSEPH NASR AND SARI COHEN

Yasser Arafat suffered from cirrhosis � widespread disruption of normal liver structure usually caused by alcohol abuse � although he was "a true water drinker," the French newspaper Le Monde reported Wednesday.

Quoting medical sources familiar with Arafat's medical file, France's most prestigious daily reported that "the most probable scenario is that Arafat's death was due to multiple causes. His coma must have been cause by an aggravation of his hepatic system, in other words his cirrhosis, culminating in a hemorrhage."

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1100578394327

November 17th, 2004 06:43 AM
egon The Heineken will flow tonight.
November 17th, 2004 12:36 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
egon wrote:
beautiful!

thanks stewed.

Your very welcome
November 17th, 2004 02:53 PM
Bloozehound lets see those pups one more time

November 18th, 2004 08:10 AM
egon I see dead people...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood