ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Jeep, thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: sir bono! Return to archive
23rd December 2006 06:45 PM
Starbuck for pug...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/23/bono.knighthood/index.html
23rd December 2006 07:05 PM
Taptrick
ssshhhiit-fuuuuuck.......ewh !

23rd December 2006 07:08 PM
BONOISLOVE
23rd December 2006 07:11 PM
RollingstonesUSA How does Gibby feel?
23rd December 2006 07:19 PM
guitarman53 He's getting knighted??? by England who think most Irishmen might be IRA.
23rd December 2006 07:27 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
He's getting knighted??? by England who think most Irishmen might be IRA.

IRA? No we fucking don't!.

It’s not a proper Knighthood as such anyway. It's an honouree one. He's not a British citizen
24th December 2006 12:07 AM
Paranoid_Android http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6206063.stm?ls

straight from the BBC!!!
24th December 2006 02:08 AM
BARRYGIBBISLOVE pffffffft! Most influential pop star of the past 25 years?

What am I? chopped liver! Bono, you're nothing but a glorified rent-boy! Real men are born on the Isle of Man.

Come all ye faithful and celebrate the birth of your true Disco Messiah! -- Sir Lord Barry --

[Edited by BARRYGIBBISLOVE]
24th December 2006 09:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
He's getting knighted??? by England who think most Irishmen might be IRA.

despite plenty of competition,a runaway winner for the most ill-informed post of the year. Good to see the stereotype of North America's cluelessness on this issue is alive and well. Congratulations..

[Edited by Gazza]
24th December 2006 09:44 AM
Bitch another clueless American wants to know? Since Ireland is part of Great Britain, why arent Irish people considered British?
24th December 2006 09:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
another clueless American wants to know? Since Ireland is part of Great Britain, why arent Irish people considered British?

The Republic of Ireland isnt part of the UK, so they're not 'British' as they left the UK in 1921.

Northern Ireland IS part of the UK, so most people there consider themselves 'British'. The minority who dont have the option of Irish nationality.

Great Britain and the UK arent the same thing. The UK consists of GB & Northern Ireland.

The honours system is open to any citizen of the British Commonwealth - so it applies to citizens of Australia, Canada, Jamaica and other countries too. However, the government occasionally grants "honorary knighthoods" to non-Commonwealth citizens for good deeds (generally charitable ones). In recent years, this has been given to people like JP Getty II, Bob Geldof, Bill Gates, Rudy Guiliani, etc. Which is where Bono fits in. Its not a 'knighthood' as such in that he doesnt become a 'Sir'. Not that it means anything anyway. Its not like recipients of these awards get any special privileges. Its a pat on the back and nothing more.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th December 2006 10:23 AM
Paranoid_Android Gazza...it a Knighthood, (hororary or otherwise), considered the highest honor a civilian can receive in UK?

In US, we have the Congressional Medal of Honor...the highest, civilian honor granted by Congress...the President, really can't grant anything except government contracts...I mean pardons to felons...same thing these days.
24th December 2006 10:42 AM
Gazza A peerage would be higher (ie, becoming a 'Lord')- because that means you can sit in the House of Lords.

(Remember what Keith said when Mick got the knighthood - "a paltry honour - he should have held out for a peerage")

However, the hereditary peerages (where you had the ridiculous situation where youd have some twit having the right to have a say in government policy just because some ancestor did something worthwhile 200 years earlier) have been phased out.
24th December 2006 10:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
In US, we have the Congressional Medal of Honor...the highest, civilian honor granted by Congress...the President, really can't grant anything except government contracts...I mean pardons to felons...same thing these days.

we have a wonderful system now where you can actually BUY yourself a knighthood or peerage - the only thing is that the government doesnt want the public to know about it! Wouldnt be surprised if this was how Mick got HIS knighthood - because to date he has been the ONLY rick musician or celebrity to have been given a knighthood SPECIFICALLY for 'services to music'. The others all had 'services to charity' (Elton, Macca, etc) as the main reason.

It has been revealed recently by the Sunday Times newspaper that every donor who has given £1,000,000 or more to the Labour Party since 1997 has been given a Knighthood or a Peerage. On top of this, the government has given honours to 12 of the 14 individuals who have given Labour more than £200,000 and of the 22 who donated more than £100,000, 17 received honours. Eighty percent of the money raised by individuals for the Labour Party is from those who have received honours

- wikipedia
[Edited by Gazza]
24th December 2006 11:15 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

despite plenty of competition,a runaway winner for the most ill-informed post of the year. Good to see the stereotype of North America's cluelessness on this issue is alive and well. Congratulations..

[Edited by Gazza]

We're not all clueless, ya know. They don't spend much time on this bit of history in our schools. I think it may be a deliberate omission, actually - yet another way of putting a spin on history and making it more palatable for the masses, especially considering that England has been an ally of the U.S. for so long. I find it pretty fascinating and have done some reading on it over the years on my own, but if I'd relied on the school system for my information I'd be pretty much in the dark as well.

Anyway...Bono strikes again! Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
24th December 2006 11:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

We're not all clueless, ya know.

Oh, I know. I was just talking about the stereotype. And we all know that stereotyping can be dangerous....
24th December 2006 11:40 AM
CraigP I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but once he is knighted you can't refer to him as 'Sir' because he is Irish.
24th December 2006 01:04 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
BARRYGIBBISLOVE wrote:

What am I? chopped liver! Bono, you're nothing but a glorified rent-boy!

I can't read you because I'm having, like, the most prolongated orgasm in the world since I found out that I'm gonna be, like, "royal" and stuff.

All the good people in the world: come to Bono!
24th December 2006 04:36 PM
Starbuck
quote:
In US, we have the Congressional Medal of Honor...the highest, civilian honor granted by Congress...the President, really can't grant anything except government contracts...

this is incorrect. the Congressional Medal of Honor is the highest military award a soldier can receive....granted for bravery above and beyond the call in combat situations only. it is akin to the victoria cross for the british military.

below: mitchell paige sports the medal he won for almost singlehandedly wiping out a company of like 200 japs on guadalcanal...or one of the solomons...i don't remember. amazing story.

perhaps you're thinking of the presidential medal of freedom? that's the highest civilian award the govt can bestow. i got one for my posting abilities a few years back.

below: dubya gives the medal of freedom to one of his prime counsels for the iraq war.

[Edited by Incompetent Administration!]
[Edited by Starbuck]
24th December 2006 06:27 PM
WJ
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Republic of Ireland isnt part of the UK, so they're not 'British' as they left the UK in 1921.

Northern Ireland IS part of the UK, so most people there consider themselves 'British'. The minority who dont have the option of Irish nationality.

Great Britain and the UK arent the same thing. The UK consists of GB & Northern Ireland.

Interesting. So, do you consider yourself British or Irish?
I think so many American's are "clueless" about things because we are totally self centered. We only care about America and American's; if something happens somewhere else our only thought is "were any American's involved?" Seriously. If a disaster happens in another country, the whole focus will be on the three American's who were killed and not the 732 others that perished. If we have no clue as to what's currently happening in other countries, we certainly will have no clue as to the history of other cultures.

Happy Birthday Jesus!

25th December 2006 09:44 AM
Bitch
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thanks Gazza for explaining that!

quote:
Gazza wrote:

we have a wonderful system now where you can actually BUY yourself a knighthood or peerage - the only thing is that the government doesnt want the public to know about it! Wouldnt be surprised if this was how Mick got HIS knighthood - because to date he has been the ONLY rick musician or celebrity to have been given a knighthood SPECIFICALLY for 'services to music'. The others all had 'services to charity' (Elton, Macca, etc) as the main reason.

Americans buy their way into office as well, they use their own money for elaborate election campaigns that gain them recognition over their opponants. TV time is expensive, but it gets their faces and names known, so people vote for them. In a way, thats buying their seat into office. John Corzine from NJ spent 2 million of his own dollars to get into office for a job that only pays a fraction of that. Makes no sense to me, money cant buy love but it can buy KNIGHTHOOD and GOVERNER Seats!

MONEY = OPPORTUNITY. In any country.
[Edited by Bitch]
25th December 2006 10:07 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Gazza wrote:

However, the hereditary peerages (where you had the ridiculous situation where youd have some twit having the right to have a say in government policy just because some ancestor did something worthwhile 200 years earlier) have been phased out.

We still have that in the United States - its called George Walker Bush III Geekage.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)