ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
?ťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bill Wyman on 1981-1982 tour. Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 22nd, 2005 08:50 AM
marko Who the hell is Darryl Jones.
Just listening Louisville-1981,Bill was damn fantastic.
He actually listened the music,while Darryl doesn´t.He just
plays along(playing right).Bill&Charlie,best combo ever.
December 22nd, 2005 08:59 AM
Jumacfly 100% agree marko!!
Max did a brilliant tribute to Bill on maxlugar.com

Bill is definitely the most underrated Bass player in RNR, and the most underrated $tone$ as well!
what a great combo with Charlie!! Charlie is often called "the engine" but I tell you Bill is "the gasoline"!!!
God bless Bill, a hell of a player!!
78 and 81 shows are here to prove that.
another thread is called "under my thumb", if you listen to the song in 1981 it's amazing how Bill does play.

there are many ways to play bass in RNR.
I play bass too and all I can say is that it s very complicated to sound like Bill whereas it's quite easy to play like Darryl "strictly flat Boom Boom" Jones.

I miss you Bill!!

cheers

Ju
December 22nd, 2005 09:16 AM
mac_daddy
bill owned the 81 tour.

December 22nd, 2005 12:59 PM
gimmekeef Yes he did..but still think 81 is overrated...IMHO every song had same sound and tempo...very upbeat mind you..but still not enough changes..and that sax guy tried to take over every song..Ernie Watts??....
December 22nd, 2005 02:35 PM
Saint Sway Bill's '81/82 bright yellow suit/bandana combo was unbeatable.

its a travesty that that outfit is not on permanent display at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame!

[Edited by Saint Sway]
December 22nd, 2005 02:37 PM
jb Simply the best Bass player ever..........the boots prove it. he makes Daryl look like an amatuer..totallu underappreciated much like MT...............................
December 22nd, 2005 02:50 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Simply the best Bass player ever..........the boots prove it. he makes Daryl look like an amatuer..totallu underappreciated much like MT...............................

many feel Macca is a better bass player, those who do shall not be greeted. Bill carried the band many nights along with Charlie....he also carried many young ladies to his hotel room.
December 22nd, 2005 02:56 PM
marko Yeah,your should get chicago 24.11.81 show,Bill and ronnie
just kills few songs,Let me go and shes so cold.
December 22nd, 2005 03:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
marko wrote:
Yeah,your should get chicago 24.11.81 show,Bill and ronnie
just kills few songs,Let me go and shes so cold.

I was just listening to that show a few weeks ago, it is fantastic!
December 22nd, 2005 03:30 PM
jb Hello Rockaway!!!!!!!!
December 22nd, 2005 03:35 PM
sammy davis jr. I want that boot!!!! IMO, Bill left the band at the right time....the Steel Wheels tour was a good one- he saw the writing on the wall that it was all downhill from there. Smart move.
December 22nd, 2005 03:51 PM
jb
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
I want that boot!!!! IMO, Bill left the band at the right time....the Steel Wheels tour was a good one- he saw the writing on the wall that it was all downhill from there. Smart move.

Although we shall never greet, I agree with you on that point.
December 22nd, 2005 03:52 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
Simply the best Bass player ever..........the boots prove it. he makes Daryl look like an amatuer..totallu underappreciated much like MT...............................

what can I say..100% agree with you jb
December 22nd, 2005 03:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

what can I say..100% agree with you jb

We (jb, myself, and many others) have been saying this for years, but sadly, few listen until it is revealed that we were correct yet again.

Jumacfly, you are one of my favorite Rocks OFf Members....I wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday season!
December 22nd, 2005 03:54 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

many feel Macca is a better bass player, those who do shall not be greeted. Bill carried the band many nights along with Charlie....he also carried many young ladies to his hotel room.

my little cousin Mandy told me this story yesterday!
December 22nd, 2005 04:00 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

We (jb, myself, and many others) have been saying this for years, but sadly, few listen until it is revealed that we were correct yet again.

Jumacfly, you are one of my favorite Rocks OFf Members....I wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday season!

thanks for the kind words Puggie
Now scuse me,my baby and I will share a fine glass of red wine and raise our glass to you 2 (and U2 tribute bands of course) and to the RO family!!
Merry Xmas to the Pug Army , the Boca Raton Eva Longoria's bangger club and you all!

JU

December 22nd, 2005 04:11 PM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

thanks for the kind words Puggie
Now scuse me,my baby and I will share a fine glass of red wine and raise our glass to you 2 (and U2 tribute bands of course) and to the RO family!!
Merry Xmas to the Pug Army , the Boca Raton Eva Longoria's bangger club and you all!

JU

We are proud to call you our French friend.........as opposed to Patriot Fries.........(they hate us for our freedom...see Sean Hannity and the rest of those fun guys at Fox News.........("Unfair and Biased"").
December 22nd, 2005 04:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

We are proud to call you our French friend.........as opposed to Patriot Fries.........(they hate us for our freedom...see Sean Hannity and the rest of those fun guys at Fox News.........("Unfair and Biased"").

I knew Jumacfly was something special as soon as we started posting here!
December 22nd, 2005 04:44 PM
glencar Billy Wyman was the best but the Stones don't need him now. He too old, man!
December 22nd, 2005 04:47 PM
Joey
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

bill owned the 81 tour.

Actually , Ernie Watts owned the '81 tour

http://www.erniewatts.com/

December 22nd, 2005 04:56 PM
glencar Wow, still alive!
December 22nd, 2005 04:59 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, still alive!

Yes !!!!!!

December 22nd, 2005 05:00 PM
erikjjf
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, still alive!

He's 60.
December 22nd, 2005 05:07 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Sadly, in his biography on the webpage, he goes into great detail about his career, but makes no mention of his time on tour with the Stones.....how many shows did he play...wasnt it most of the 81 tour before Gene Barge took over?
December 22nd, 2005 05:13 PM
glencar Maybe the Stones didn't do too well by him. Probably gave him a buck fifty for half the tour.
December 22nd, 2005 05:13 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Joey wrote:

ernie was huge, no doubt...

but wyman owned the tour. just listen to some of those boots - he drives the band. absolutely superb bass playing night in and night out. a rock.

iirc, the tour started sans horns, and then there was a guy who played for like two dates, and then ernie took over, and was with them all the way through the hampton, va shows (which were the final ones of the 81 tour)...

the wheels started to fall off the wagon in europe, with no ernie, and the addition of chuck...

but the 1981 tour was glorious! and bill was a HUGE part of it.

ernie contributed, too, of course, but bill was definitely the mvp of that tour.
December 22nd, 2005 05:15 PM
glencar I seem to recall Ernie was at the opener in Philly, maccy. That was the only show this poor boy could attend back then.
December 22nd, 2005 05:15 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Maybe the Stones didn't do too well by him. Probably gave him a buck fifty for half the tour.

ask sonny rollins how he feels about them...

i understand the reason why he didnt do the tour was that the stones wouldnt pay him enough...

i wonder if tim and the boys get shortchanged like that. i'll bet chuck makes more than daryl...

bobby is likely playing for free.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
December 22nd, 2005 05:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Maybe the Stones didn't do too well by him. Probably gave him a buck fifty for half the tour.

Wasnt there a story where Mick paid Ian McClaglan out of his pocket for a recording session for "Some Girls"? I could be mistaken, but perhaps the band had a history of underpaying hired musicians.
December 22nd, 2005 05:17 PM
mac_daddy if that is the "for whom the bell tolls" gig, i am pretty sure he was not there...

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)