ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
?ťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stone Mag: Mavericks, Renegades, Troublemakers. [Jagger Article] Return to archive
December 21st, 2005 03:46 PM
justinkurian MICK JAGGER: BIG BANGER

This year, the Rolling Stones crushed all doubt as to their might and will to rock with A Bigger Bang, their best studio album since 1981's Tattoo You, and the start of a world tour already set to break the Stones' own previous box-office records. Mick Jagger upped the ante with "Sweet Neo Con," his Bigger Bang indictment of right-wing hypocrisy, set to a "Miss You"-style strut and packed with unrestrained invective ("You call yourself a Christian/I think that you're a hypocrite/You say you are a patriot/I think that you're a crock of shit"). Jagger denied that "Sweet Neo Con" was specifically about President Bush, but the song was still a daring leap into politics for a songwriter whose last topical masterpiece, 1968's "Street Fighting Man," was actually explosive resignation ("What can a poor boy do/Except sing for a rock & roll band?"). "That is a completely different song for a different moment, another time," Jagger says of the earlier hit, during tour rehearsals in the summer. "But this is another time, with other fears, other forebodings and very justifiable worries." Speaking recently on a day off between shows, Jagger looked back at the commotion he and the Stones created with "Sweet Neo Con" and the mess of blues that still remains.
After the heat you took for "Sweet Neo Con," do you feel vindicated by President Bush's dive in the polls and the infighting among conservatives?

"Vindicated" is not the right word. When I started writing it, I felt things were going to turn. There was too much wrong thinking and bad execution. In the movie The Fog of War, Robert McNamara says, "You never know what's going to happen." You can go in with the best plan, the best troops, the best intentions, and it can all go wrong. If you don't have the best plan, you have more going against you.

Then you wonder, what would we have said if everyone in Iraq had covered the troops in flowers and the country had become this wonderful democracy? But it was always a chancy geopolitical adventure. Maybe in the long, long run, there will be benefits. There are always two sides to this. It's not going to be 100 percent bad. But you worry about the way it's going to end in the short term: in the next twelve months, two years.

Did you have security concerns because of the song? Two years ago, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder got death threats for wearing a Bush mask onstage.

There were a lot of people in our camp who were very nervous. They knew there would be a lot of criticism. But I kept saying, "This is a country that proclaims freedom of speech. You've got to be able to use that right. If you can't, what's it worth? Let's see what it's worth."

In the end, people were not that critical [of "Sweet Neo Con"]. A lot of press people who talked about it hadn't even heard it. We've come to another place, where Eddie Vedder and the Dixie Chicks got it worse. We've moved on.

The Stones made a million-dollar donation to the New Orleans relief effort after Hurricane Katrina. Were you shocked that this country, and its government, could let the city drown?

We would have stepped up anyway. Part of America and Western culture is that you don't expect the government to do everything. Private money is a large percentage of relief. You don't expect some hired hand to sort out all your problems. Obviously, you do expect the government to do certain things -- military muscle and such.

The connection between Iraq and Katrina came into focus for me while I was watching TV. There was this guy -- a regular guy with a small house, all destroyed -- and he said, "Our army is in Iraq, helping Iraqis, and they should be here." I thought, "Yes, there are only finite resources." Then I realized what he meant: the National Guard, which is a very local thing. They are your neighbors and relations. And if they hadn't been in Iraq, they could have come and pumped out his front room.

I think that has convinced a lot of America that questioning the war is not about patriotism; it's about resources. When you have a crisis in your home, it comes starkly into focus. And I'm sure that was a guy who voted for Bush.

Are you disappointed by the sales of A Bigger Bang? The whole business of selling albums seems to be an endangered activity.

I don't think it's as serious as that. Has the album sold as many copies as I would like? No. You always want it to sell more. The way of selling albums has to be approached differently now. You need a lot of imagination. You also need a lot of money. But there's no doubt that rock music has a much smaller share of the CD market -- and the download and ring-tone markets.

What music has turned you on this year?

There are a lot of new records that I've bought, like the White Stripes, the Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West. I always listen to rock bands that are coming up, like the Arctic Monkeys. And I listen to a lot of Caribbean music. The calypso from Trinidad is very funny and political. They are not afraid to say what they think.

What are your hopes for 2006?

That we can extricate ourselves from the war in Iraq with dignity and some hope for Iraq itself. I'm sure that's on many people's minds, including George Bush's. Personally, I'm going to be doing a lot of miles. We're going to Asia and South America, which is a lot of miles for a few shows [laughs].

The Stones are playing the Super Bowl halftime show. Is it weird that you're considered more family entertainment than Janet Jackson's breast?

Of course, after Janet, you can't do or say anything outre. But I don't think the show is family entertainment. At the Super Bowl parties I used to go to, when I was living in New York, it was a lot of blokes getting completely pissed [laughs]. It seems the women and children are there to open the packets of crisps.
December 21st, 2005 04:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
The Stones are playing the Super Bowl halftime show. Is it weird that you're considered more family entertainment than Janet Jackson's breast?

Of course, after Janet, you can't do or say anything outre. But I don't think the show is family entertainment. At the Super Bowl parties I used to go to, when I was living in New York, it was a lot of blokes getting completely pissed [laughs]. It seems the women and children are there to open the packets of crisps.

word.

very true Mick.

I still cant believe how freaked out people in this country got over a flash of a nipple ring.

The SB has never been about "family entertainment" and never should be. Its about partying and gambling.

I hate how the conservatives in this country constantly want to dictate what is morally acceptable to EVERYONE.

fuck them. On Super Bowl sunday I will be shitfaced watching the game at The Hustler Club. I plan on seeing lots of tits.
December 21st, 2005 05:18 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

word.

very true Mick.

I still cant believe how freaked out people in this country got over a flash of a nipple ring.

The SB has never been about "family entertainment" and never should be. Its about partying and gambling.

I hate how the conservatives in this country constantly want to dictate what is morally acceptable to EVERYONE.

fuck them. On Super Bowl sunday I will be shitfaced watching the game at The Hustler Club. I plan on seeing lots of tits.

Yes!

December 22nd, 2005 07:03 AM
corgi37 Nice little interview. The shitty sales in the U.S. must be really hurting him though. I am sure the Stones thought this album would be huge, being their 1st studio cd in 8 years. Too bad America is obssessed with rap crap and all things ghetto.

Remember the days when MTV would NOT play a clip by a colored artist?

December 22nd, 2005 08:24 AM
Gazza yes..until,as I recall, CBS/Epic threatened to withdraw all their artists' videos in protest at them not playing "Beat It" by the (still black at the time) Michael Jackson

Nowadays of course they dont play hardly any videos by EITHER black OR white artists!
December 22nd, 2005 08:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
Of course, after Janet, you can't do or say anything outre.

yes you can, Mick. Its live TV. Make your own rules and if they dont like it, fuck 'em

Remember this?

"we are not old men. We are not governed by petty morals"
December 22nd, 2005 08:29 AM
Jumacfly Mick should wear his circa 1981 football trousers for this special occasion!!
December 22nd, 2005 08:34 AM
Gazza er yeah...the 'wardrobe malfunction' that would undoubtedly ensue should keep the Superblow thread active for about the next ten years!
December 22nd, 2005 08:40 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
er yeah...the 'wardrobe malfunction' that would undoubtedly ensue should keep the Superblow thread active for about the next ten years!

that's sure Gazza!!
but the funniest fact would be to see Mick dressed like that on the pitch during the game!!!
I give him 2 minutes!!

December 22nd, 2005 05:04 PM
texile that was a good interview....
its nice when jagger is asked real questions and actually answers them.
he seems to be more eloquent lately.....
December 22nd, 2005 05:16 PM
glencar I don't think that Superblow thread needs any help! Those chicks love their pix!
December 22nd, 2005 05:17 PM
glencar
quote:
texile wrote:
that was a good interview....
its nice when jagger is asked real questions and actually answers them.
he seems to be more eloquent lately.....

Jagger's almost always been eloquent.
December 22nd, 2005 06:30 PM
Soldatti Good and straight interview.
December 22nd, 2005 09:51 PM
texile
quote:
glencar wrote:

Jagger's almost always been eloquent.

true, but lately he's been talking about real issues, politics -
and before, he seemed to be a bit flippant and vague...
the removed rock star...terrified of seeming serious.
now, he seems to take things seriously.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)