ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
?ťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Drugs as an influence Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 19th, 2005 12:34 PM
Voodoo Scrounge Its of my opinion that when the Rolling Stones started to "clean up" their act. The big hits started to dry up.

Although its not actually known what drug Keith is taking thesedays. It is a well known fact that Ronnie, Mick and Charlie are all clean. Ronnie lapses at points but is predominantly clean.

I think this cleaning up process has also influenced the way the band write songs. Jaggers lyrics have gone on a hugedownward spiral and Ronnies playing has gotten beyond a joke.

Keith is surely not as wasted as he was 20 years back.

My theory is

DRUGS + ROLLING STONES = CLASSIC TUNES
December 19th, 2005 01:32 PM
speedfreakjive How does this explain Exile's lack of quality then(not my opinion), since Keith, Mick and Mick Taylor were all taking drugs at the time, LOL!!
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
December 19th, 2005 03:54 PM
J.J.Flash One thing about Ronnie is the fact that he's now more sober than the period between 99/2002, but his playing is way more focused than the period I have mentioned above. This is something even Josh has noticed when attending the first shows of the current tour. I personally haven't listened to a lot of bootlegs of this tour, just a few, but seems that he's really more focused.

Bless him
December 19th, 2005 04:05 PM
glencar He's working much harder. 1999 Wembley show, Ronnie was a disgrace!
December 19th, 2005 04:42 PM
the good Not that anybody asked, but I'm a psychologist who studies problem solving and creativity. The link between drug use and creative thinking has never been established, so I am skeptical of the idea that drug use was a main factor in Mick and Keith's development as songwriters. I think Keith has also said that drugs never played a central role in his creativity. Remember guys, there were plenty of great musicians, writers, and scientists in the world long before people were smoking joints and getting messed up on smack.
December 19th, 2005 05:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
the good wrote:
Remember guys, there were plenty of great musicians, writers, and scientists in the world long before people were smoking joints and getting messed up on smack.

Back then they called them mushrooms.
December 19th, 2005 05:18 PM
justforyou If you alter your state of mind and produce things in that state, it's hard to say they didn't influence your thinking. Maybe you're arguing that exile would have been a better album had the stones been cold sober ?
December 19th, 2005 05:37 PM
justforyou I think Bach would have had trouble working out his patterns were he too 'sedated' :-)
December 19th, 2005 06:36 PM
the good
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Back then they called them mushrooms.

LOL. There just isn't a lot of evidence that this kind of thing influences creativity. Its talked about a lot, but it rarely pans out. Take Coleridge and Kubla Khan, for example. He said that he wrote the thing all at once, without any corrections, in an opium induced mental state. The problem is that there are a lot of nearly complete drafts of the poem that are dated a couple of weeks before the alleged opium incident took place.

But this is good news. The moral of the story is that human minds are so amazing that they don't need little bitty things like mushrooms to release their immense power.
[Edited by the good]
December 19th, 2005 06:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
justforyou wrote:
Maybe you're arguing that exile would have been a better album had the stones been cold sober ?

We'll never know.
December 19th, 2005 07:58 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
the good wrote:
Not that anybody asked, but I'm a psychologist who studies problem solving and creativity. The link between drug use and creative thinking has never been established, so I am skeptical of the idea that drug use was a main factor in Mick and Keith's development as songwriters. I think Keith has also said that drugs never played a central role in his creativity. Remember guys, there were plenty of great musicians, writers, and scientists in the world long before people were smoking joints and getting messed up on smack.

Throw your degree in the garbage then. Every act that ever was, was always better under the influence. It's not even up for debate.
December 19th, 2005 09:10 PM
PeerQueer Well, some drugs do enhance performance and creativity in certain areas, of that I know very well...

Alas, the physical toll though can become too much over time. It can sometimes be rather difficult balancing one's desires with one's instinct for self-preservation.

The Stones have become, over the last decade-and-a-half far more concerned with self-preservation than their former and quite varied multiple past desires.

Has the art suffered? In so much as new "brilliant" material, yes - though ABB is a quality product - it is not close to the quality of the Stones circa 1965-1972 though. But then again, that kind of lightning usually does not strike twice.

Now entering my own mid-30's, with too many miles on the odometer, I am coming to understand, and even appreciate the Stone's desire for preservation.

May they be with us for some time.

Blessed bastards each and every one...
December 19th, 2005 11:04 PM
the good
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:

Throw your degree in the garbage then. Every act that ever was, was always better under the influence. It's not even up for debate.

Can you cite some examples?
December 19th, 2005 11:44 PM
the good
quote:
justforyou wrote:
If you alter your state of mind and produce things in that state, it's hard to say they didn't influence your thinking. Maybe you're arguing that exile would have been a better album had the stones been cold sober ?

But to say that drug use produces greater creativity, you have to establish that someone would not be able to produce works of a certain caliber when they aren't under the influence of psychoactive substances. In fact, most great creative works were produced in a non drug induced mental state, and most creative geniuses (Edison, Einstein, Da Vinci, etc.) did not use drugs.
December 20th, 2005 02:20 AM
Brainbell Jangler Quote:
If by smack you mean only heroin and not opium (which has been used for many millenia), I suppose that is narrowly true. But in regard to cannabis, you couldn't be more wrong. I don't know about musicians, but cannabis use certainly predates anything we would call science and is older than writing itself. The Greek word "cannabis" and the English "hemp" are cognates, meaning they both derive from the same Indo-European root. Cannabis use is described in the Vedas. As for psychedelics, there are some who attribute the leap from ape-man to true human to the beneficent effect of mushrooms, ayahuasca and other botanical sacraments.
I would agree that drug use is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for creativity. And it can often lead to an unproductive habit. But many creative individuals report obtaining inspiration from psychoactive substances: Baudelaire, Balzac and Burroughs, for example, and that's just a few of the Bs.
December 20th, 2005 02:53 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Ronnie plays great on the 80-82 tour and he is always smacked out of his nut
December 20th, 2005 03:30 AM
Mathijs According to both Jagger and Richards, songwriting became more difficult and much slower when on hard drugs. Keith stated that he'd probably never would have written "Coming Down Again", but as a whole, he didn't consider drugs very creative.

By the way, I don't know about this tour, but last tour the Stones had a person travelling with them who provided all sorts of candy to the Stones, including to Jagger. At some shows, the guy was quite visable backatsge -he was the guy rolling the big joints for Keith.

Mathijs
December 20th, 2005 04:02 AM
the good
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
But many creative individuals report obtaining inspiration from psychoactive substances: Baudelaire, Balzac and Burroughs, for example, and that's just a few of the Bs.

Dude, people say all sorts of shit. Most of the time they don't know what they are talking about. Like the Coleridge example that I cited above.
December 20th, 2005 10:39 PM
Surround Sister Writing music seems to result in more creative output
after influence. Playing is a little bit of this & a little bit of that.
Sad to say the Stones sounded far to more smokin´
between the coke rushes back in the 70s than now.
December 20th, 2005 11:22 PM
Brainbell Jangler So, the good, do you then deny that Dumas, Hugo, Balzac, Gautier and Delacroix met regularly between 1844 and 1849 at the Hotel Lauzun to consume hashish as the so-called "Club des Hachichins"? Or that Baudelaire wrote of his observations and limited experiences there in his 1860 essay, "Les Paradis Artificiels"?
December 20th, 2005 11:25 PM
Surround Sister Sw. author Strindberg wrote, at times, under influence of absinthe, but it also seem to have pushed him over the edge in the Blue Books, where his sanity went out the back door.

We also know Keith didnt only come out well from his drug years.
December 20th, 2005 11:56 PM
the good
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
So, the good, do you then deny that Dumas, Hugo, Balzac, Gautier and Delacroix met regularly between 1844 and 1849 at the Hotel Lauzun to consume hashish as the so-called "Club des Hachichins"? Or that Baudelaire wrote of his observations and limited experiences there in his 1860 essay, "Les Paradis Artificiels"?

No. That's not the point. The point is there is no reliable connection between drug use and enhanced creativity.
December 21st, 2005 12:00 AM
sirmoonie Do bongs!

Do fucking bongs!

Yes! Get fired up and do bongs like a mother! Fuck yeah!!!
December 21st, 2005 12:11 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
the good wrote:

In fact, most great creative works were produced in a non drug induced mental state, and most creative geniuses (Edison, Einstein, Da Vinci, etc.) did not use drugs.

i stand to be corrected but i was always of the understanding that Edison was a very enthusiastic user of cocaine

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
December 21st, 2005 12:14 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Do bongs!

Do fucking bongs!

Yes! Get fired up and do bongs like a mother! Fuck yeah!!!

and write songs and paint pictures and think up new shit!!

yeah!!

Do it!!

Now!!!
December 21st, 2005 12:22 AM
the good
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i stand to be corrected but i was always of the understanding that Edison was a very enthusiastic user of cocaine

No, your thinking of Freud, who used cocaine briefly, but never during his most prolific years as a psychiatrist.
December 21st, 2005 12:34 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
the good wrote:

No, your thinking of Freud, who used cocaine briefly, but never during his most prolific years as a psychiatrist.

no not thinking of frued - ' tho i am aware that he was user as his use well documented

but i also recall reading that edison, too, was partial to it

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
December 21st, 2005 12:40 AM
stonedinaustralia
see the following re cocaine - edison and others

http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/economicbotany/Erythroxylum/

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/coc02.htm

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/PLACOC.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0249379/bio
December 21st, 2005 12:53 AM
the good That's interesting about Edison. But I've done several case studies on him (his invention of the phonograph, the electric light, and the motion picture), and there is just no evidence that cocaine use influenced his creation of these devices. In fact, they were largely based on earlier technologies. Here is a great website on him:

http://edison.rutgers.edu/

December 21st, 2005 12:59 AM
sirmoonie C'mon, you can't invent electricity and stuff like that without being real smart. Cerebralism its called.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)