ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones' Undercover- how does it hold up? Return to archive
12-23-03 08:01 AM
morocco I have all of the Stones' classic and revered albums. Now, I'm looking to buy some of their better second tier albums.

I'm investigating Undercover and would like to ask those who own this album, How does it hold up? Do you listen to this?
I'm hoping that it's a raw, raunchy, violent and sleazy work. Is it? One thing that turns me off is that Ron Wood sings a song on this album. I don't want to hear him.
12-23-03 08:32 AM
FotiniD
quote:
morocco wrote:
I'm hoping that it's a raw, raunchy, violent and sleazy work. Is it? One thing that turns me off is that Ron Wood sings a song on this album. I don't want to hear him.

Keith bashing and now this comment.
12-23-03 08:45 AM
Jumacfly if you dont want to hear Ronnie sing..well try Justin T....
12-23-03 08:48 AM
nankerphelge As I mentioned in the Black & Blue thread, I like Undacover. It is a bit more dancy than I would prefer, but underneath it all it has a certain Stonesian thing going.
12-23-03 08:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Keith bashing and now this comment.

Oh well. It's a new day.
12-23-03 09:12 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Oh well. It's a new day.

I wonder what's in store for tomorrow.
12-23-03 09:12 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy If you don't want to hear Ronnie sing, than I recommend avoiding Some Girls, as he sings backup on every song on the album, and he's even higher in the mix than Keith is on "Shattered".

And we can't have that, can we? Oh, no!

(Ronnie sings no songs on Undercover. As far as I know, he doesn't sing any officially released Stones songs. You can hear him singing backing vocals, most noticably on Some Girls, and on the forgettable but decent B-side "I'm Gonna Drive")

Undercover has some great tunes on it. Ironically, the best ones are the ones Ronnie co-writes (he gets one credit - "Pretty Beat Up" - but you hear him pretty clearly on "All The Way Down"), because they're balls-out rockers instead of pop-tripe. I mean, "Too Much Blood" is hilarious and fun to listen to, but it's not a song you put on repeat. By contrast, "Wanna Hold You" is a pretty good Keith tune, one of his last rockers, but the dub-laden haze of "Feel On Baby" just doesn't lend itself well to... anything... other than curiosity.

In conclusion - Undercover's pretty good, certainly the most violent album they've ever done (no ballads to boot), and don't knock Ronnie because this is the last album he saves (the previous ones being Tattoo You and Some Girls). He tries with Dirty Work, co-writing quite a few tunes with Keith and coming up with that awesome twelve-string trick on "One Hit (To The Body)", but they're too far gone by that point. By Steel Wheels, it's him who's too far gone, and the Glimmer Twins oblige and ignore him.

And are you done being a troll or do you have some more opinions you'd like to pose as questions?

-tSYX --- All things must pass, all things must pass away...
12-23-03 09:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I wonder what's in store for tomorrow.

Christmas Eve...., Christmas Eve parties, last minute shopping, etc. LOL the day before Christmas is always hectic....not a bad day to start drinking early.
12-23-03 09:21 AM
nankerphelge Don't forget She Was Hot -- a classic Stones rocker that should be done live any time now boys!

And Tie You Up (Pain of Love) -- awesome funky Stones without all the horns and hoopla of Pretty Beat Up and Too Much Blood.

Too Tough -- awesome stuff -- in the end you spat me out, you could not chew me up, I's too tough!

And Must be Hell -- Soul Survivor meets HTW -- stay on a straight line, stay in tune!!

12-23-03 09:22 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Christmas Eve...., Christmas Eve parties, last minute shopping, etc. LOL the day before Christmas is always hectic....not a bad day to start drinking early.

I'm working all day tomorrow cause Mr. Scroodge... err, my boss, seems to thing Christmas Eve is a money-earning day...

So I'm gonna spend the whole day surfing the net and visiting many many Stones sites saying I'm searching for potential clients

But it's gonna be great either way
12-23-03 10:27 AM
morocco Undercover sounds like a tough and gritty album. I like the descriptions in this thread. It's such a relief to hear that Wood does not sing lead vocals on any song on this disc.
12-23-03 10:31 AM
SHINE A LIGHT yesterday.....let's bash keith
today.......undercover (good, but not one of my faves!)
tomorrow.....perhaps silence on this radio?????
12-23-03 10:47 AM
sandrew Gotta take issue with your otherwise sound comments above, Savage.

It's a stretch to say Ronnie saved "Tattoo You," as much of it was recorded without him. "No Use Crying" is great, but there's no Ronnie at all on "Worried About You," "Waiting on a Friend" and probably others, too.

I'm sure someone can tell us exactly.
12-23-03 11:22 AM
Zack Buy and listen to them all, then start posting.
12-23-03 12:25 PM
Nasty Habits Totally disagree with you about Feel On Baby, Zigg. I've grown very fond of it, to the point that it's one of my favorite Stones reggae numbers, mysterious and weird with a great Jagger vocal - I think the dub approach brings out the natural darkness that makes more sense to the band than the sunsplash sounds of traditional reggae music (this does not for me extend to Too Rude, even though I as you all know a Dirty Work loyalist).

I love the fact that Undercover is pretty much all about "the smell of sex, the smell of suicide" -- all of the violent and erotic impulses that get jumbled together on that album are happily mirrored in a muddy, bizarre mix. The drums are a little loud and echoey, but otherwise the sound is absolutely gushing with middle aged hormonal swagger, and the opening three numbers (the GREAT title track, which was basically my introduction to the band, She Was Hot, and Tie You Up) are the last time they unleashed anything that might play really well in a strip club.

I enjoy the rhythmic impulses on the album a lot more than I enjoy the recycled Only Rock and Roll of Voodoo Lounge and only wish that Mick would say something as funny as "Oh, no, don't sawr off me arm" on a Rolling Stones record again some day (the closest he's got in ten years is the monologue at the end of "Put Me in the Trash".)

But ultimately I would say Undercover is "high third tier" Stones as opposed to "second tier" Stones. If you have yet to hear EVERY album that they did in the 60s (many of which are a tier above some highly revered on this board) they are far more interesting, rockin' and good for your ears, ass, and soul than Undercover, Goats' Head Soup, Side 3 of Love You Live, the great Dirty Work tracks, Bridges to Babylon, or any of the post-Exile highlights.

In other words, if you don't have NOW!, get it. NOW!

Also, regulars, people who would like recommendations on Stones albums should be allowed to ask on this board, which last time I checked doesn't say 'experts only'. Comments like 'buy them all then post' are elitist at best and somewhat defensive at worst.
12-23-03 12:32 PM
steel driving hammer This album has shades of Exile on it, you have to listen hard but it's on there.
12-23-03 12:34 PM
jb SDH!!!!!!!!!!!What a beautiful gift!!! Thanks for making my X-mas special.
12-23-03 12:36 PM
steel driving hammer

12-23-03 12:39 PM
glencar Undercover has that great funk number Tie You Up on it as previously noted by the noted Stonesologist Nanky. That's all I need. She Was Hot is a nice bonus especially during the Christmas season...

Hi SDH!
12-23-03 12:40 PM
glencar Joshy's doing an "Xmas special"?? Who are the other guest stars?
12-23-03 12:44 PM
Nasty Habits I heard it was Meatloaf and Simon & Garfunkle . . .

What's up, SDH?

12-23-03 01:01 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
sandrew wrote:
Gotta take issue with your otherwise sound comments above, Savage.

It's a stretch to say Ronnie saved "Tattoo You," as much of it was recorded without him. "No Use Crying" is great, but there's no Ronnie at all on "Worried About You," "Waiting on a Friend" and probably others, too.

I'm sure someone can tell us exactly.

True, and some of it ("Tops") was even recorded with Taylor!

But "Black Limousine" & "No Use In Crying" are the two Ronnie wrote (the latter) or helped out writing (the former), and you hear him come through much more than Taylor, what with "Start Me Up", "Hang Fire" and so forth.

It's a weave-guitar album that Keith wouldn't've done alone or with Taylor.

That being said, looking back, it is a stretch to say he saved the album, as if anyone deserves that honor, it's Mick for doing the whole thing in the first place.

-tSYX --- 'Cause I'm worried, lawd...
12-23-03 01:12 PM
glencar Did Ronnie "save" DW? I know it's not up to snuff but someone obviously tried to keep the peace during that trying period.
12-23-03 01:52 PM
Mr. D I've always gotten the impression that Ronnie was the one that "saved' it if you will- Mick and Keith were at each others throats and I'd think that Charlie was just staying out of the whole thing and not generally caring (who could blame him, hes a drummer, not a referee), so that only leaves Woodie to save the project.
12-23-03 04:08 PM
Nellcote Went home for lunch today, turned on VH1 Classic
"Two for Tuesday" Caught the double header of
"Too Much Blood" & "Harlem Shuffle"

WICKED PISSA!!!!
12-23-03 04:12 PM
glencar Nell, it'll be repeated exactly 8 hours later. Alert yer VCR!
12-23-03 04:18 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Did Ronnie "save" DW? I know it's not up to snuff but someone obviously tried to keep the peace during that trying period.

No one can "Save" DW. Ronnie kept DW from being broken and tossed in the trash after the first listen, but it was too far gone to save.

-tSYX --- Get on the right thing!
12-23-03 04:20 PM
glencar Iz, there's a new DW Reconsidered thread.
12-23-03 04:32 PM
sandrew The best thing that can be said about DW is that it gave Keith the confidence to make "Talk is Cheap," which, in retrospect, is probably the best thing he's done in the last 25 years.