ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan: "I could have written Satisfaction" Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-22-03 10:16 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Could Keef have written "High Water (For Charlie Patton)"

Or, more importantly, can Keef write a song that good TODAY?

And can Mick sing it?

Please?

these are,no doubt,important questions to which i would like to answer yes, they could, but the question then becomes will they?? and the answer to that question i'm not so sure about

based on the evidence (the four new cuts on 40 licks) one begins to despair at the thought that both M & K, particularly when compared to bob, have both lost touch with their muse to some degree...for all keith's talk about gazing into the sky for inspiration it's sad to say that , while they have both produced worthy efforts since SG (keith's "slipping away" for example demonstrates his mastery of the craft of songwriting and puts him in the ranks of the likes of hoagy carmichael and writers of that ilk), they have both, in a sense, run out of things to say

the decline in the intensity of their work since SG (the vitriol of DW excepted) gives creedence to the adage that, as far as artistic endevour is concerned, "domesticity is death" - bob on the other hand seems invigorated as he endlessly tours the world,the living embodiment of the wandering jew, still searching for some meaning to his existence through his music....

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-23-03 06:24 AM
glencar What about "Don't Stop"? I am not thrilled with the other new songs but that one was pretty damned good.
12-23-03 07:09 AM
egon That song would have never been brought out if it was by any other band.

The song sucks and should never have been on 40 licks,
it brings the album down.

It sounds like a bunch of old guys trying to rock,
and to be honest i get more excited by justin's "cry me a river".

Now THAT is sad.

And don't get me started on "keys to your love" and "stealing my heart"...
12-23-03 08:57 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy If anything, SIA, Love And Theft has given me hope that Mick and Keith now have the bar set that much higher and that they'll really try and do something. I mean, they were doing fine because they were on top of the "old people still releasing albums and pretending they were up to scratch with stuff they used to do" until Dylan went and beat the shit out of them with Love And Theft, which I think's a better album than Blood On The Tracks. (Gasp!)

Dylan's proved that just because you're old and not as popular as you used to be with the 18-24 crowd doesn't mean you can't release an incredible album in this day and age. (The old blues masters proved that a long time ago but we seem to have forgotten them)

The Stones would do well to make a fresher record and cater to the Stripes crowd, I think. Mick and Keith both probably see that.

Maybe they can cover "Mr. Tambourine Man" just to sneak a shot in on Bob.

(I always thought that quote was directed at Brian, and that Bob, who was fond of giving Brian shit because he reacted so well, was just fucking around with him.)

Briefly, off topic, what the fuck is with all these people and this... bullshit that seems to be worming its way through the board since the tour's ended? I knew we were bound to go through a low once the Stones slipped out of sight over the holidays... but honestly. Morocco, you seem to start threads just for the sake of having someone to fight with, it's obvious you've already got an opinion about everything you post as a question because you then go on to brutalize anyone who doesn't agree with you - SAL, you're no better, and there're plenty of others who're just resorting to being jerks - please, STOP BEING JERKS AND FIGHT ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR A CHANGE, huh? I know, I'm not a mod or anything, I've got no authority to say this, but I really like this board and the discussions we have, I mean, like above, where the conversation's finally turning to something interesting and cool, like "Why can't The Glimmer Twins put out a great album now that Dylan's proved that you can be old and still rock hard?" I mean, I love it when we go off-topic and be zany for awhile, but this childish bickering and Old-Soulie style flooding just pisses me off.

Can we stop?

-tSYX --- Take off this uniform and leave the show...
12-23-03 09:01 AM
Doxa About the original quote. I remember that Jagger once admitted that it is certainly true - Dylan could have written "Satisfaction" but The Stones not "Mr. Tambourine Man" - but he continued (with a laugh) that he really would like to hear Bob SINGING it.

I think Jagger got a good point - who else can PERFORM Mick Jagger songs? I think the actual song and the performance of it are the parts of the same coin as far as Mick and The Stones tunes are concerned. Can you ever think Dylan could make as relevant and genuine sexual tension as Mick does (did) with "Satisfaction"?

Anyway, I could not imagine Jagger doing any justice to songs like "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" or "Hurricane" - he would never make them convincing. Even "Like A Rolling Stone" does not really fit to Jagger's sphere of relevance. Well, Dylan played "Brown Sugar" few years ago - and well, a nice compliment but musically a joke.

Doxa
12-23-03 09:19 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hahaha, brilliant, Doxa.

I've heard Bob's version of "Brown Sugar", and I respect the hell out of him for doing it - I think he did it because he likes the song! It's obvious that there's no way in hell even in his prime Bob would've been able to tackle "Satisfaction", just in the same way that Mick'd never be up to "That's All Right Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"...

...oh, man, can you imagine them doing it like "Far Away Eyes", with Ronnie on pedal steel and Mick in that horrible country accent?

Anyway, yeah. Dylan can't do "Brown Sugar", but I think he covered it 'cause it's such a fun song to play. And his band's pretty incredible.

-tSYX --- I said yeah, yeah, yeah, whooo!
12-23-03 01:00 PM
glencar Izzy, even Melanie did "That's Alright Ma" & I think the Stones could have done that one fairly easily. I just heard the United Center boot which contains "Farway Eyes." Incredibly good show. I wish it was a soundboard because it's from early in the tour & it's THAT good. BTW In the RS review of "Emotional Rescue" the critic said something along these lines: "And what's this last song, 'All About You'? It sounds like the Stones have let Bob Dylan into the studio." The album was panned if I remember correctly.
12-23-03 01:22 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
glencar wrote:
Izzy, even Melanie did "That's Alright Ma" & I think the Stones could have done that one fairly easily. I just heard the United Center boot which contains "Farway Eyes." Incredibly good show. I wish it was a soundboard because it's from early in the tour & it's THAT good. BTW In the RS review of "Emotional Rescue" the critic said something along these lines: "And what's this last song, 'All About You'? It sounds like the Stones have let Bob Dylan into the studio." The album was panned if I remember correctly.

???????????????????

To my knowledge Melanie never did It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), although she may have done Arthur Crudup's "That's All Right Mama" which Elvis did and Bob did too, and the Stones could have done, I suppose (a la "Hound Dog" '78). Did Melanie REALLY do It's Alright Ma (Ho Ho Ho)? Yikes. The question is, did she do it in a way that makes you want to do anything but puke? I mean, the idea of Mick Jagger trying to remember all those words is pretty sketchy, let alone making them comprehensible (the clearer Mick sings the worse it is, and all that). Melanie DID do Ruby Tuesday. The question is, could Bob Dylan and Keith Richards have collaborated to write Brand New Key?

12-23-03 01:25 PM
glencar "It's Alright Ma" is what she did. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't ehard it since the early 70s when my older sister Mary would play her & Carole King's product incessantly. I don't recall if it was even very good but I did always have a soft spot for that "Brand New Key" song.
12-23-03 01:27 PM
telecaster Bob Dylan is the most over rated musician in the history of history and then some
12-23-03 01:28 PM
Lambchop
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

-tSYX --- Take off this uniform and leave the show...

They tried. It was called B2B. They must have figured it wasn't worth it.
12-23-03 01:30 PM
glencar Melanie also did two Stones songs. I just checked out Amazon & while it doesn't show "It's Alright Ma" it does show she did Mr. Tambourine Man & Lay Lady Lay. But I recall that other song. Somehow it didn't make it onto any of her 12 Greatest Hits collections.
12-23-03 01:31 PM
glencar Lamby, that was very Storm-like of you. For shame, for shame. I sentence you to now listen to all the Duran Duran solo projects for the rest of the day!
12-23-03 05:18 PM
CCK In a 1968 Rolling Stone interview Mick Jagger revealed: "Dylan once said, 'I could have written Satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Tambourine Man.' It's true, but I'd like to hear Bob Dylan sing, 'I can't get no satisfaction.'"

Keith Richards on his Live Aid cohorts: “Bob’s a very nervous, sensitive guy….Ronnie’s a great mixture of talent and bullshit.”
12-23-03 07:51 PM
Gazza >Satisfaction or Mr Tamborine Man.
The real question is 'which is the better song?'
As a Stones fan, I know what my answer is.........

then its a pointless argument. As a fan of both of them, I'd have to say my answer would be different to yours,without a second's hesitation .But then I dont think "Satisfaction" is even in the Top 20 of the Stones' greatest ever songs.
12-23-03 08:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Bob Dylan is the most over rated musician in the history of history and then some

When you make a joke like that you have to use one of these that way everyone knows your joking.
Page: 1 2