ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No Sir! Stars who refused honors (NSC) Return to archive
12-21-03 10:29 AM
CS LONDON, England (CNN) -- An amazing list of 'A'-list celebrities who have snubbed the British honors system and various UK prime ministers by refusing knighthoods and other top honors has been revealed.

They include rock star David Bowie, celebrity cook Nigella Lawson -- who recently cooked for President George W. Bush -- comedian John Cleese, top actors Kenneth Branagh, Albert Finney and actresses Vanessa Redgrave and Honor Blackman.

The information, covering more than 40 years, is in secret UK government files leaked to The Sunday Times. The reasons for refusing honors such as a Knighthood (Knight of the Order of the British Empire) and CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire, one rank below a knighthood) are not given.

Honors have been much in the news in Britain in recent weeks. When rock legend Mick Jagger became Sir Michael Jagger in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace -- joining other musical giants like Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Elton John -- he was much derided by fellow Rolling Stone Keith Richards for "selling out."

Just weeks before, Rastafarian poet Benjamin Zephaniah sent back his OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire, two ranks below a knighthood) medal as a protest against colonialism shown by the use of the term "Empire" and UK government policy on Iraq.

Others named in the Sunday Times as refusing honors at some time or other include authors Graham Greene, Roald Dahl and famous British-born film director Alfred Hitchcock.

More recently Bowie declined a CBE in the Queen's birthday honors of 2000 while Lawson, rejected an OBE offered in 2001 for her "services to journalism and to cookery."

An inquiry to find the source of the leak was now under way, reports the UK's Press Association.

Although the honors are bestowed by the queen, they are usually recommended by the prime minister of the day and many of the "refuseniks" are making protests against government policy. More than 40 people have refused to accept honors from current PM Tony Blair, says the paper.

Novelist JG Ballard, James Bond leading lady Honor Blackman and jazz musician George Melly have all turned down honors under Blair.

But the leaked documents include the names of scores of famous people who have declined honors offered by different Conservative and Labour prime ministers since the Second World War.

Compiled by the Cabinet Office's ceremonial branch, the list of almost 300 names includes artist David Hockney, writer John le Carré, poet Robert Graves and writer and journalist Evelyn Waugh.

Other names on the list include writer J B Priestley, novelist Anthony Powell, children's author Roald Dahl, poet Philip Larkin, and actors Trevor Howard ("Brief Encounter") and Alastair Sim.

LS Lowry, the painter of northern England industrial landscapes, appears to have turned down more than anyone -- a total of five awards including a knighthood, CBE and OBE.

Actor Albert Finney not only rejected a knighthood in 2000 but the documents show he also turned down a CBE in 1980.

Film director Alfred Hitchcock refused a CBE in 1962, although he accepted a knighthood shortly before he died.

The Sunday Times said the list was compiled to warn officials that "refuseniks" should not be approached again because they have already rejected honors.

A Cabinet Office spokesman told PA: "There will be an investigation to trace the source of the leak."

The secret list, in documents marked "refusals" are not even released under the 30-year rule after which many government papers are normally made public.

According to the documents, J G Ballard, author of Empire of the Sun, turned down a CBE this year for "services to literature".

He told the paper he was opposed to the "preposterous charade" of the honors system.

"Thousands of medals are given out in the name of a non-existent empire. It makes us look a laughing stock and encourages deference to the crown," he said.

"I think it is exploited by politicians and always has been."

Finney, who recently won an Emmy ands the British equivalent, a Bafta, for his portrayal of Sir Winston Churchill in the television film "The Gathering Storm" Finney has criticized the idea of knighting people as "a disease which perpetuates snobbery".

The paper says British comedian Lenny Henry accepted an honor from Blair after having rejected one from Conservative predecessor John Major.

Under Major, the list of "refuseniks" included the playwright Alan Bennett, who turned down a knighthood, John Cleese who turned down a CBE. Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One racing boss who once attempted to donate £1 million to the Labor Party until the donation caused political uproar, turned down a CBE "for services to motor racing."

Actor Kenneth Branagh rejected a CBE in 1994 while Helen Mirren, star of the Prime Suspect television series, turned down a CBE for services to drama in 1996 but then agreed to become a Dame of the British Empire (female alternative to a knighthood) after Labour took power.

Up to one in five on the "refusenik" list subsequently accepted an honor.

Very few of those who have refused or returned British honors have gone public to explain their position.

A spokesman for Blair's office told PA they would not comment on issues arising from leaked documents.

The previous week the Sunday Times carried leaked revelations about the 700-year-old British honors system which alleged "star" names from showbusiness and sport -- such as tennis star Tim Henman -- were added to the list at "add interest."
12-21-03 01:20 PM
glencar It's bad when they have to consider Henman for an award. This leak does seem curious. Here in the States, things are "leaked" all the time by interested parties.
12-21-03 04:15 PM
Moonisup well society changes, I don't blame mick. Keith can say what he wants that it ain't "stonesy" to take that honour, but is charching 500$ for a ticket 'stonesy'?
12-21-03 04:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
, but is charching 500$ for a ticket 'stonesy'?

It is if you're a Stone. LOL.
As they say "you gotta make hay while sun shines".
12-21-03 04:24 PM
glencar The 1981 tour had $30 tickets all around. Of course I earned 3% of what I currently earn so I'm better off with today's high-priced tickets. But don't let Mick know; he'll raise the prices even more!
12-21-03 05:38 PM
Gazza yes and the "living embodiment of rock n roll" himself wont object, after all its "what the Stones are all about"
12-21-03 06:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yes and the "living embodiment of rock n roll" himself wont object, after all its "what the Stones are all about"

LOL. Well, you wanta dance, ya gotta pay the fiddler.
12-21-03 06:55 PM
glencar And pay we will but will others?
12-21-03 07:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
And pay we will but will others?

You betcha they will. The Stones????? Of course "they'll" pay.
12-21-03 07:45 PM
Gazza >LOL. Well, you wanta dance, ya gotta pay the fiddler.

dont be so sure. Loyalty is a two way thing. After 34 shows, I dont NEED to see the Stones anymore. I never have. I'll go again if I feel like it. It wont kill me if I dont. Its a hobby, not my life and if I feel I'm being exploited, I'll choose not to.

Maybe I'll reserve my dancing classes for a better value fiddler.
12-21-03 08:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Maybe I'll reserve my dancing classes for a better value fiddler.

Like who? Who can replace the Stones? Really. But I suppose "seen 'em once, seen 'em a thousand times". I can't say as I blame you much though. There's a lot of good music out there...maybe "better" music for cheaper money. The blues/jazz/zydeco clubs in western Louisianna and East Texas are really good value for the bucks. New Orleans is only a bit commercialized but not much. New Orleans is really a scary place. But it's kind of a "fissure" for the "spirit" world. Really good music all the time. The Stones need to tap Keith's "sky" again.
12-21-03 08:30 PM
Stonesthrow Glencar-- Maybe they charged $30.00 for tickets where you lived. The pre-scalper price for the 12/81 stadium show I attended in Tempe, AZ was $17.50.
12-21-03 08:57 PM
glencar Maybe the memory isn't what it was, stonesthrow. Unfortunately, I didn't save the ticket back then.
12-21-03 09:02 PM
Gazza >Like who? Who can replace the Stones? Really. But I suppose "seen 'em once, seen 'em a thousand times". I can't say as I blame you much though. There's a lot of good music out there...maybe "better" music for cheaper money. The blues/jazz/zydeco clubs in western Louisianna and East Texas are really good value for the bucks. New Orleans is only a bit commercialized but not much. New Orleans is really a scary place. But it's kind of a "fissure" for the "spirit" world. Really good music all the time. The Stones need to tap Keith's "sky" again.

its personal choice but this year I saw my 3 fave artists for the first time ever in the same calendar year. The Stones, Springsteen and Dylan. All of them mean as much to me as each other does. Who my favourite is depends on my mood.

yes, the Stones were fantastic and I enjoyed every show I went to but I still think their ticket prices are an obscenity. I saw Dylan from practically the same seat as I saw the Stones at at Wembley for a fifth of the price. He played the same length of show, lots of rarities and I really enjoyed it. Whether you think Dylan is as good as the Stones isnt the issue. Its better value if youre a fan of both. Springsteen cost me £45 for a standing ticket in a stadium and he played a 200 minute show with several rarities as well as great new material. As good a stadium show as Ive ever seen.

Its not a case of "replacing" the Stones..no one will (Ive liked Bob and Bruce for just as long a time anyway)but everyone has their point where you think "sorry theres only so high I;m going to jump when they ask me to"
12-22-03 03:28 PM
glencar I've never seen Springsteen. I was tempted this year but when he played this NY area, I was scheduled to be out of town. He'll be around for a while anyway.
12-22-03 05:54 PM
Gazza Holy shit. You live in New York,like Bruce and have never seen him?

You like Ireland, I like New York. Next Bruce tour we can swap homes for the summer and I'll get to see the 13 NY area shows he played this summer.

If you like,we can swap salaries too.
12-23-03 06:32 AM
glencar Uh, that was all good until the last part! I can't hack pounds, man. But the rest is all good...