ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Sticky Fingers Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-19-03 01:11 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Put Sticky Fingers on today and tell me whay you think.

I always felt bad for it, wedged between Let It Bleed and Exile, but listening to it again kinda made me think that this was A) their first full album with Taylor, B) their first album after Altamont and C) the first album they put out after losing Brian, and they were really kinda floating, and the album sounds like it. The fire behind Let It Bleed's gone, because, hell, it's all over, but the whole feel to the album is much more "Here're the seventies, then. Good luck."

I don't like the strings on "Sway" or "Moonlight Mile", though. Maybe the fact that they didn't really know what they were doing kinda makes people skip over it and go straight to Exile from Let It Bleed.

Anyhow, I'm having a great time listening to it, because school's out, you bastards!

-tSYX --- As I stand by your flame...
12-19-03 01:13 PM
glencar There have been times when it's been their best work as far as I'm concerned. So much of this stuff is subjective. Except that VL isn't half as good as some people think.
[Edited by glencar]
12-19-03 02:54 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i love sticky fingers!! it's my second fave after exile. why?? some really bluesy stuff there. and ya gotta give them credit for doing such a lovely album right after all the negative events that were mentioned above.
12-19-03 03:10 PM
KeithRichards210 Sticky Fingers is my favorite Stones album. The guitar riffs and leads between Keith and MT are fantastic, Jagger is singing with more passion than ever, then there's Charlie of course.
Plus there's such a wide variety of styles here. Unlike Some Girls, which rides the "A train" for the first 4 songs. SF is a classic.
12-19-03 03:16 PM
jb Some of us, TSXY, have no need to re-discover SF as we have been loyal fans long before you were born. This album, in many ways, is the ultimate Taylor master-piece.
12-19-03 04:33 PM
glencar BTW Keith doesn't play on Moonlight Mile. And I Got The Blues is much better in concert than on record.
12-19-03 04:38 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
glencar wrote:
BTW Keith doesn't play on Moonlight Mile. And I Got The Blues is much better in concert than on record.

Correct on Moonlight Mile. That's Jagger on the acoustic, along with Taylor's shimmering leads.

As far as I Got The Blues? It's an opinion thang..
12-19-03 04:43 PM
glencar No, it's a fact.
12-19-03 05:57 PM
Lazy Bones Ironically, I listened to it walking to work this morning and it's still my favourite Stones' album.
12-19-03 07:05 PM
beer
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

I don't like the strings on "Sway" or "Moonlight Mile", though. Maybe the fact that they didn't really know what they were doing kinda makes people skip over it and go straight to Exile from Let It Bleed.

You speaketh blasphemy young Xyzzy. Sway is one of the greatest songs ever and it is perfect as is. Same with Moonlight Mile. to add or subtract any element of those songs would be unforgivable. Sticky Fingers is a landmark in rock and roll.
12-19-03 07:10 PM
nankerphelge Sticky Fingers is one incredible album!

I have been "rediscovering" it of late myself -- you get the feeling that they thought very carefully about every single note!

Upon my four-millionith listen I have to say that I Got the Blues remains my favorite cut. Wish I had heard it live in Hartford during the No Security tour!
12-19-03 07:54 PM
SHINE A LIGHT there is not one tune on sticky f. which i dislike. the guitar work is beyond great, the vocals are fabulous. the only thing NOT to like is the fact that keith is not on moonlight m. and i still love that song!! i have three copies of the album, 2 of the zippers( one from spain, the ablum itself is white) and one of the treacle cover.
great stuff!!
12-19-03 07:59 PM
Stonesthrow SF is my second favorite Stones album. However, it is probably their most accomplished album musically. An interestingly diverse set of songs played to perfection. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is my favorite on the album, and I still get chills when I listen to Sister Morphine. Of course it didn't hurt to have side men like Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, and Ry Cooder contributing.
12-19-03 08:02 PM
glencar Yes, Nanky, "I Got The Blues" during that HFD was sublime. Except for the drunk bitch in back of me who kept poking me because I was standing. Ay yi yi!
12-19-03 08:46 PM
nankerphelge Cockroach got a ticket for me and I bagged out on him last minute.

I felt bad enough that I bagged out, but when I heard they played I Got the Blues, oh man......

SPANK!

What is the boot sitiation for the No Security shows?

12-19-03 08:48 PM
glencar There are some out there. I have one of that show so PM me if you'd like a copy. I made a post from my sister's house about how I'd like to go to the Sunday HFD show & then I left the PC. 5 minutes later Maxy offered me up a ticket but I didn't check out the site until I got home. Life is full of mistakes.
12-19-03 10:48 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy "I Got The Blues" has grown on me so much since first listen. Initially I thought it was the weakest cut on the album... blasphemy! It's really damn impassioned singing from Mick.

And c'mon. "Moonlight Mile"s just beautiful. Same with "Wild Horses". They really do sound cut loose from the rest of the world on this album - "We are the Stones and we won the war - now what?"

-tSYX --- 'cuz I'm just about a moonlight mile, on down the road, down the road, down the roaaaoooaad, ohhh yeah yeah yeah...
12-20-03 12:34 AM
beer
"When the wind blows and the rain feels cold
with a head full of snow.."

Xyzzy my friend, you have seen the light. and after seeing the light, one has no other option than to get lit.
12-20-03 04:04 AM
Child of the Moon There is but one word to describe Moonlight Mile:

Orgasmic.

And the rest of the album ain't bad, either. The three-song punch of Sister M, Dead Flowers, and MM is just astounding. And I've always really dug the minutae of that album... Keith's cry of "Yeah!" at the end of Brown Sugar... the way Wild Horses fades out so beautifully before being torn apart by Can't You Hear Me Knocking's hellhound bark guitar blast... the cascding piano that gives way to Charlie's drum burst on Sister Morphine... Keith's backing vox on Dead Flowers... Keith's acoustic on Brown Sugar... the way Moonlight Mile builds up, climaxes, drifts for a while like a cloud passing over the moon, and then gears up for one more grandiose well of strings before calling it quits.

Anyone ever heard Alvin Youngblood Hart's version of Moonlight Mile? Fucking beautiful, that one. I could write a whole essay comparing that one to the Stones' version... I get different feelings from both, but they're both so "right."

Sticky Fingers? A confirmed classic.
12-20-03 09:46 AM
throbby Yes, it was quite incredible watching them perform I Got the Blues. My buddies and I were right next to the B-stage for the show. That was one hell of a Monday night.

Sticky Fingers! I always come back to this album. Have you guys heard the alternate take of Dead Flowers? The one I'm talking about is on SM "Live at Leeds" disc.

Hey Nanker, I've got the opening night NS show from Sacremento. I also have the NS Vegas show which contains Hartford's I Got the Blues. Let me know if you'd like a copy of these.

12-20-03 04:03 PM
ExileInLA To all haters of VL: YOU'RE NUTS!!!

I love VL. I love Sticky Fingers. A while ago I posted something about taking some tracks off of VL and then you have their best album since Exile. My top 5 go like this:

1) Exile
2) Sticky Fingers
3) Let It Bleed
4) Beggars
5) VOODOO LOUNGE

BTW - Tattoo You is WAY over-rated and WEAK!

Exile
12-20-03 04:24 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Uhh... Exile?

How about Let It Bleed Part 2, aka "Some Girls"?

-tSYX --- When the whip comes dowwwwwwwn!
12-20-03 06:33 PM
Lil Brian Is "Dead Flowers" a reference to Altamont?
12-20-03 06:35 PM
Lil Brian Why isn't "Let It Rock" included on the CD now?
Is it still on the Spanish version?
12-20-03 07:07 PM
Boomy Tracks I love:

Sway
Brown Sugar
Can't Ya Hear Me Knockin'
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile

Tracks I don't like:

Wild Horses
You Gotta Move
Bitch
I Got the Blues
Sister Morphine
12-21-03 04:40 AM
beer i hope scott weiland gets sent to jail for a long time. much like robert downy jr, he deserves it. he's had a million chances to clean himself up and he thinks money will get him out of it.
12-21-03 07:40 AM
Jumping Jack Sticky Fingers is their best work ever and Bitch is Keef's best riff ever! Enough said.
12-21-03 01:22 PM
glencar I don't see how one could not love "Bitch" & still call oneself a Stones fan.
12-21-03 01:30 PM
Chuck Davis Keith's solo in Bitch makes my elbow start pumping while I drive waaaay over the speed limit.
12-21-03 01:40 PM
glencar Yes, the Stones can still be dangerous!
Page: 1 2