ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Mrs. and Mr. Von Kinky Kink Kinko Kinkily!
The new Maxlette is here! b. January 1st, 2003 11:21 A.M. EST

Art by Drew Friedman spoiled by a dirty voodoo boy working for the company!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: alphabetical Rock and Roll wrap up for 2002 Return to archive
12-27-02 03:39 PM
Jaxx alot of this is a bulimics dream, so don't read this if you've just eaten....

Wrapping up the 2002 music scene

By ANDREW CUSHMAN, [email protected] December 27, 2002

It�s the last column of the year, so I figured since it�s the holiday season, the best way to wrap it up is with an A to Z account of the year in music that was 2002.
Besides, I get real lazy at this time of year, and this is an easy column to write without expending too much brain power.
So without further adieu:

A has got to stand for Avril, as in Avril Lavigne. The Canadian teenager bumped the Britneys, clocked the Christinas and moved the Mandys with a harder-edged skater-punk pop approach. On the strength of singles "Ska8er Boi" and "Complicated," Avril�s debut album Let Go has moved some 3.5 million units.

B is for Boss, as in Bruce Springsteen. After reassembling the E Street Band, they put out their first record since 1984�s classic Born in the U.S.A. But 2002�s The Rising, which deals heavily with the events of Sept. 11, may have a greater impact in the long run. Oh yeah, they also went on tour, receiving rave reviews across the country including their stop at the First Union Center in October.

C is for Creed. In the words of Rolling Stone�s Chris Heath, Creed is simply the most commercially successful rock band in the country. This crew, which is detested in some circles, has released three albums -- My Own Prison, Human Clay and Weathered -- since 1997. Creed�s total album sales are somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 million.

D quite simply is for death. The music world lost a lot of talented individuals this year. Among others, we lost former Beatle and Traveling Wilbury George Harrison, Drowning Pool lead singer David Wayne Williams, Run-DMC founder Jam Master Jay, TLC member Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, R&B up-and-comer Aaliyah, Ramones� bassist Dee Dee Ramone, Ratt guitarist Robbin Crosby, country icon Waylon Jennings, Widespread Panic guitarist Michael Houser, Lovin� Spoonful�s Zal Yanovsky, the Who�s John Entwistle, Three Dog Night�s Joe Schermie, Alice in Chains� Layne Staley and earlier this week Clash singer and guitarist Joe Strummer.

E can�t be for anyone but Eminem. Aside from the blond-haired bad boy having the year�s best-selling album with The Eminem Show,he made his acting debut and carried "8 Mile" to No. 1 at the box office. Where so many musicians have failed trying to crossover to movies, Eminem succeeded to the point people are talking Oscar for Slim Shady.

F is for "Foolish," the hit song that took Ashanti from sexy duet sideshow act to an omnipresent name in R&B and hip hop. Already being hailed as the next Janet Jackson, Ashanti started out working duets with established rappers Ja Rule on "Always on Time" and Fat Joe on "What�s Luv?" --- both Billboard Top 10 hits. Despite that success, it was "Foolish" that powered her self-titled debut album to No. 1 moving more than 500,000 units in the first week.

G has to be for grateful. Seven years after the death of lead singer Jerry Garcia, the surviving members of the Grateful Dead reunited under the moniker the Other Ones and did what they�ve always done --- went on tour. At their stop at the First Union Spectrum, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann and Bob Weir were honored when a tie-dyed banner with the number 53 was raised to the rafters. The Dead�s 53 shows are a record at the building.

H is for hall, as in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum inducting a solid 2002 class, which includes AC/DC, the Police, the Clash, Elvis Costello and the Attractions and the Righteous Brothers.

I can�t be for anything but idol --- not Billy, but "American Idol" -- the hit television show that took the nation by storm in its first season. After a number of pop-star wannabes were eliminated by viewer voting, Texas� Kelly Clarkson beat out Doylestown�s Justin Guarini on the show�s concluding episode, which an estimated 22.5 million viewers watched. The second season kicks off Jan. 21.

J could be for Jennifer, J. Lo or Jenny from the block, whichever you prefer. Jennifer Lopez is in so many places, she probably needs three names. Aside from starring in, "Maid in Manhattan," which reached No. 1 at the box office and releasing her third studio album, "This is Me..hen," Lopez made the loudest noise when she announced her engagement to actor Ben Affleck in November.

K is for Keys, as in Alicia Keys. This early-20s neo-soul sexpot needs a large trophy case. She took home five Grammy Awards, including best new artist, four Billboard Awards and a boatload of other less-prominent industry trophies. Her debut album "Songs in A Minor" stormed the charts and sold millions upon millions of copies. She also embarked on a lengthy North American tour, which included stops at the Tower Theater and the Tweeter Center in Camden, N.J.

L is for Linkin, Park that is, who used 2001 and the beginning of 2002 to take the throne as the new rulers of nu-metal. Linkin Park took the entire genre to another level with its debut-album Hybrid Theory, which sold more than six million copies in the U.S. and 11 million worldwide. A dozen songs blending hip-hop, rock, alternative metal and turntabling, Hybrid Theory was the best-selling record in America in 2001 and it still sells something in the neighborhood of 75,000-100,000 copies a week. Linkin Park�s follow-up may be the most anticipated since Pearl Jam released Vs. in 1993.

M has to be for McCartney, as in..h you know who I mean. The former Beatle grossed $53 million with a spring tour - an average box office gross of just under $2.2 million per city or $130 per ticket.

N can�t be for anyone but Nelly. The St. Louis-proud rapper has taken hip-hopping pop to a new level without cussing, violence, or drugs. O.K., so he likes sex, as evident by the party song of 2002, "Hot in Herre." Whether he was teaming up with love interest and Destiny�s Child-member Kelly Rowland for the hit single "Dilemma" or jamming out on his second album "Nellyville," which sold more than eight million copies, Nelly has been scorching. He tore up the charts, was in all the magazines, including a Person of the Year nod in Rolling Stone.

, and is sure to win more than the handful of Billboard Awards he took home earlier this month.

O is for the Osbournes. Notice there are no quotations around that, because I am not just talking about the hit television show, which airs on MTV Tuesday nights at 10:30. Sure "The Osbournes" took the populous by storm on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, but that�s just the half of it. This family has gone from a crew of nobodies to America�s new "Brady Bunch." Ozzy, who is now considered a comedic genius in some circles, has undergone a career resurrection like no other artist. His wife, Sharon, went from behind-the-scenes businesswoman to cancer-fighting sympathy figure of the year candidate. Meanwhile, daughter Kelly has launched a music career and is on everyone�s who�s-who list while Jack quietly continues his ascension from a dorky-porker to a little-bit-cool music producer/actor/talent scout. Anyway you slice it, this family has had a big year.

P is for puddle, as in Puddle of Mudd. These rockers have given fans something to get excited about. Bringing a new flair and genuine-instrument-playing ability, Puddle of Mudd�s hit-laden debut album Come Clean peaked at No. 9 on Billboard�s chart, currently sits at 45 and is starting to climb again 68 weeks after it was released. Featuring singles "Blurry," "Control" and the oh-so-sing-a-longable "She Hates Me," Come Clean, which generated numerous accolades for the band including all four of Billboard�s rock awards, has moved some three million units since its release.

Q stands for quiet. There were quite a few musicians that stayed on the QT this year. Among others, Limp Bizkit loudmouth Fred Durst clammed up after bassist Wes Borland left the band. Maybe it�s wishful thinking, but I was hoping the Fugees would�ve gotten back together. Haven�t heard a peep out of Prince. Salt-N-Pepa must have been shoved into the back of the cupboard while someone put the chill on Ice-T.

R has to be for the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts gave fans across the country something to celebrate as they set out on an arenas/stadiums/clubs tour commemorating their 40th anniversary. Including a blistering set at First Union Center, a night of classics at Veterans Stadium and a roller-coaster ride of obscurities mixed with timeless anthems at the Tower, the Stones gave this area all it could have wanted. These ageless wonders also put out a greatest hits compilation, Forty Licks, that stacks up against any album out there.

S is for Shakira. This 25-year-old Colombian belly dancer has been a pop princess in Latin America for years, but it was on the strength of her first English-language album Laundry Service that she bumped Jennifer Lopez from the top of the Latin-pop-music mountain. Including radio-friendly singles "Whenever, Wherever" and "Underneath Your Clothes," Laundry Service has been certified triple platinum.

T will always stand for the Tower Theater as long as I am the music columnist. Aside from undergoing a couple million dollar facelift courtesy of Clear Channel Entertainment, the Tower remains the best venue, by far, in the area.

U has to stand for you. A play on the letter? Yes. But it�s my column. Besides, I was just going to state that without you, my readers, none of this is possible. I truly hope you enjoy my writing and I am truly grateful for all your feedback. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] anytime.

V is for the very talented, very hardcore and very fresh rock faces the Vines. Lead by crazy, pot-puzzled frontman Craig Nicholls, the Vines - along with the Hives and the Strokes - have been a refreshing sound in an industry that was diluted with nu-metal, hip hop and dance hall-electronica flavor. On the strength of a world tour, a certified gold record in Highly Evolved, which debuted at the top of the charts, a slew of rowdy hits, and critical acclaim out the wazoo, the Vines have taken the express elevator to stardom.

W is for weird, and it doesn�t get much more bizarre than Michael Jackson. And I am not just talking about his face. The King of Pop is making better headlines than music these days. Here�s just a brief synopsis of MJ�s year: He started out being inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame; refused the perform at the Grammy Awards; was accused of beating his pet chimpanzee Bubbles by his sister LaToya Jackson�s ex-husband; called Tommy Mottola, the head of Sony Records, which is his label, the �devil� and a racist; was hit with a $13 million lawsuit by his former business manager; was sued for $20 million for breach of contract; and finally thought it�d be a good time to dangle his nine-month-old son Prince Michael II off a fifth-floor balcony. How�s that for 52 weeks?

X has to stand for X-rated. Sex sells and it sells very well in the music industry. Christina Aguilera appeared on the cover of Rolling stone with nothing but a guitar. Britney Spears was hounded into vacation about her clothes and the message she was sending to her �younger audience.� Nelly was blasted because of his lyrics "It�s getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes." Funny how those are some of industry�s best-selling and most-popular artists.

Y is for yes. In our case, the opposite of yes, which is no. The no we are focusing on is No Doubt. (Again, this is my column, and No Doubt could not be ignored.) The So-Cal act had major questions to answer with both fans and critics after 2000�s downer-album Return of Saturn. And, boy did they respond. Released in December of 2001, Rock Steady climbed the charts as hit after hit earned more airplay. "Hey Baby" was first, then came "Hella Good" followed by "Underneath it All" --- all Top 10 hits. Spending a good portion of the year on the road, No Doubt did not disappoint area fans playing a pair of gigs. Also, lead singer and hottie Gwen Stefani married longtime beau and Bush frontman Gavin Rossdale.

Z is for Zevon, as in Warren Zevon, the satirical singer-songwriter who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer this summer. The composer of such classics as "Werewolves of London," Lawyers, Guns and Money," "Excitable Boy," "I�ll Sleep When I�m Dead" and "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me," among others, Zevon is working on what will be his final album. Tentatively titled "My Dirty Life and Times," the album will feature contributions from Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Don Henley, Dwight Yoakam and Billy Bob Thornton, among others.

And the results are

Last week I asked you guys and gals what musician, if you could, would you want to spend Christmas with and the results were great.

While Pat Gieder �would love� to spend the holiday with Elton John, Paul Carmine chose Grant Lee Phillips and Joe Kelly selected Keith Richards, and, if he were alive, Jimi Hendrix.

Among others mentioned: Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen, Eminem, Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Lopez, Nelly, Sting, Santana, Britney Spears and Kenny G.

Just wondering

Sticking with this holiday-celebrity connection we started last week, if you could attend any music star�s New Year�s Eve party, whose would you want to attend?

Just e-mail me at [email protected] with your answers and I�ll report them in next week�s column.

�The Daily Times 2002
12-27-02 03:48 PM
jb Nice !!!!
12-29-02 06:24 PM
Jaxx here's another one:

Year rocked with new blood, return of some all-time greats

By Patrick MacDonald
Seattle Times staff critic

STEVE RUSSELL / AP
Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and their fellow Rolling Stones were high on the charts again with the 3-million-selling �Forty Licks� CD and brought their big show to Tacoma.

Usually it's a chore coming up with a year-end story on pop music, because there often isn't anything to write about other than the usual Top 10 lists and a rehash of events.

But this year is different. Not only was there a revival of pure, unadorned rock 'n' roll, via such bands as the Strokes, the White Stripes, the Vines and the Hives � there also was renewed appreciation for the all-time greats.

Elvis Presley was No. 1 again on the charts, 25 years after his death, with the 2-million-selling "Elvis: 30 #1 Hits" album. He had a big international hit single with a dance remix of "A Little Less Conversation." The Rolling Stones were high on the charts again, too, with the 3-million-selling "Forty Licks" CD, which went to No. 2. Paul McCartney had the biggest tour of the year, grossing about $100 million from the 50-date North American leg alone. His "Back in The U.S. Live 2002" CD entered the Billboard 200 album chart this month at No. 8.

Both the Stones and McCartney brought their big shows here, as did a revitalized, rocking Bob Dylan, who opened his tour here at KeyArena in October. He surprised fans by covering the Stones' "Brown Sugar," and also played more keyboards than guitar, which Dylanologists found historically significant. Bruce Springsteen came around again, and so did the Who, the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Elvis Costello, Randy Newman and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

Eminem was clearly the star of the year, with his 6-million-selling "The Eminem Show" CD and "8 Mile" hit movie and soundtrack. His acting ability and his skills as a brilliant storytelling rapper with a gift for words finally earned him some grudging respect in the mainstream media, which had previously labeled him a menace to society (completely missing his overall message of rising above adversity, not to mention his wicked sense of humor). Eminem's music captures the spirit of the times (including trenchant political commentary, which detractors don't seem to notice). He has shown an ability to grow and change, which indicates he will be around for a long time.

This year was significant for other notable newcomers, including such young singer-songwriters as Ryan Adams, John Mayer and Norah Jones, all of whom made impressive appearances here. They, too, will likely have thriving careers for years to come, because they are all exceptionally talented and driven.

Avril Lavigne brought fresh new energy to rock. The spunky 18-year-old Canadian's irresistible single "Complicated" heralded a new star and a new inspiration for young girls. Her streetwise jeans-and-tank-top, skater-girl look has replaced the cheap, gaudy, bellybutton-revealing style of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Jennifer Lopez. Her gutsiness and honesty made them look suddenly old, tired and fake. Lavigne has reportedly written most of the songs for her next album, and she says they will rock even harder than those on her 4-million-selling debut, "Let's Go." It's going to be fun watching her grow.

Ozzy Osbourne and family became an international phenomenon with the reality program "The Osbournes," the biggest hit in the history of MTV. It launched a new star, Kelly Osbourne, 18, who had one of the best singles of the year with her intense cover of Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach." It became a hit after she nailed it in her first performance ever, on "The MTV Video Music Awards."

On the local front, Nirvana was back again, with a greatest-hits album containing all the band's significant songs, as well as the newly unearthed "You Know You're Right," a typically slow-building rant that became a big hit. The album introduced a young generation to the band, which broke up eight years ago with the suicide of lead singer Kurt Cobain. "Journals," a book made up of reproductions of pages from Cobain's personal notebooks, became a best seller.

Sleater-Kinney, which started in Olympia but has since moved to Portland, released its best album ever, "One Beat." Heart finally got a true retrospective with the two-CD album, "The Essential Heart," with songs from its releases on both the Epic and Capitol labels. Pearl Jam, after having laid low for a few years, returned with a new album, "Riot Act," and played four shows here (two at the Showbox, two at KeyArena) to celebrate. Now touring Australia and Japan, the band will launch an American tour in the spring.

Copyright � 2002 The Seattle Times Company