ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Mrs. and Mr. Von Kinky Kink Kinko Kinkily!
The new Maxlette is here! b. January 1st, 2003 11:21 A.M. EST

Art by Drew Friedman spoiled by a dirty voodoo boy working for the company!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jerry Lawler Says Feud Was Set Up (NSC) Return to archive
12-25-02 04:00 PM
Martha Full Story 12/25/2002��15:02:58�EST
Jerry Lawler Says Feud Was Set Up

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Pro wrestler Jerry "The King" Lawler has finally confessed: His famous feud with comedian Andy Kaufman was all set up.

The feud included a segment on the David Letterman show in 1982 when Lawler slapped the comedian and Kaufman later threw coffee at him - all while Letterman watched aghast.

Lawler writes in a new book, "It's Good to Be the King...Sometimes," that he and Kaufman decided on their own to have the confrontation on the show and that neither Letterman nor his producer knew ahead of time what would happen.

Lawler writes that he worried after the show that he would be arrested. He also says he's sure that Letterman was angry about what happened.

The so-called feud began in Memphis when Kaufman decided to try out pro wrestling.

Lawler writes that the details behind the Kaufman incident have been a well-kept secret for over two decades. Kaufman died in 1984.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press.
12-25-02 06:47 PM
Highwire Rob Martha,
Thanks for the post, I'm a Kaufman fan and I always wondered what the definitive answer was on this! I enjoyed the Man In The Moon movie with Jim Carrey and I know how it portrayed the wrestler/comedian relationship.

The real footage of the antics on the Letterman show are hilarious. The early unplanned segment demonstrated Dave's ever present spontaneous wit. When Andy is about to storm off the show and tells Dave that he couldn't say on TV some of the vulgar words to Lawler, Dave responds: "You can use some of those words, but I've said it time and time again, you can't throw coffee."

Classic! I can believe Letterman was pissed off--a similar example was the Crispin Glover incident in which Karate kicks were thrown within inches of Dave's face. Result: Go to commercial; come back; No Crispin! Of course, when NBC considered banning Andy Kaufman from any of its shows, Andy responded with an outrageous $200 million dollar lawsuit.

Forget all this faux reality TV today; Kaufman would have them all beat if he were still alive!

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-26-02 12:16 AM
sammy davis jr. The Crispin Glover bit is an all-time fave. What a whacked out dude he is. He also had on about 4" heels while he was kicking at Dave's face. I like him.
12-26-02 08:33 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man, I forgot all about that Crispin Glover thing....

Did anyone else ever notice, that sitting on the chair beside Crispin is what appears to be a collection of fake eyeballs on a posterboard?

I knew the Lawler thing was a set up after Man In The Moon. Lawler would not have been in the movie, and in the funeral scene, otherwise.
12-26-02 09:19 AM
gypsy His name is "Crispin." Whad'ya expect?
12-26-02 09:37 AM
telecaster
quote:
Martha wrote:
Full Story 12/25/2002��15:02:58�EST
Jerry Lawler Says Feud Was Set Up

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Pro wrestler Jerry "The King" Lawler has finally confessed: His famous feud with comedian Andy Kaufman was all set up.

Did you also see that the "Bigfoot" deal was also a setup.
They guy who did it died a month ago and his family revealed
he would dress up in the Bigfoot suit, etc.

He told his family not to reveal the truth until he died.

And all this time I thought it was real.
12-26-02 09:48 AM
Sir Stonesalot Of course Bigfoot is real. His name was Carl Hairston and he played DE for the soon to be World Champion Philadelphia Eagles.

Or do you mean that big stupid monster truck with the big stupid tires?

Feel the car crushing POW-POW-Power!
12-26-02 10:08 AM
jb Andy Kaufman was a genuis Max....truly ahead of his time...people even thought he was goofing his own death....
12-26-02 11:26 AM
Maxlugar What the hell are you telling me for? I haven't even posted on this thread yet.

I know he was a genius.

He is faking his own death. He will be emceeing the free concert for Womyn in Herstory out in SF next year.

12-26-02 11:34 AM
jb I CONFUSED YOU FOR MARTHA...P.S.-saw the hot debate w/ sean and tysteel on Gasx3..I hate those motherfuckers and I'm liberal!
[Edited by jb]
12-26-02 11:38 AM
Maxlugar I've never seen two people get so wound up. I love to get them going. They are the fringe of the fringe. They probably listen to Art Bell and all his Contrail crap.

But starting Jan 1, 2003, it's POOP for me.

I swear to Moses.
12-26-02 01:26 PM
Martha I CONFUSED YOU FOR MARTHA..

Oh, I don't mind, JB!

Except, of course, for that Log Cabin Republican stuff.....don't confuse me for any of that madness!
12-26-02 01:39 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Did anyone else ever notice, that sitting on the chair beside Crispin is what appears to be a collection of fake eyeballs on a posterboard?

Yeah, Sir Stonesalot, it's been a while since I saw that clip but I think the items were oddly shaped potato chips. Crispin (good pun for English crisps!) was gonna do a show-in-tell bit on how some of the chips looked like celebrities.

This would have been a parody on one of the guests that Johnny Carson had had on his show.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-26-02 01:44 PM
Maxlugar Can anyone tell me where I'd know Crispin Glover from?

I have no idea who he is and I'd like to jump in on this conversation.

Why?

I don't know. I guess I like to be part of a group. I'm very social.

Maxy!
12-26-02 01:55 PM
jb My p[osts have been, at a minimum, 85% informative and entertaining.
12-26-02 02:15 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I'd know Crispin Glover from?

Max,
Crispin played the goofy George McFly, Marty's (Fox) father in Back To The Future.

I understand he was in more recent films: Charlie's Angels and Nurse Betty. I don't know much about him other than the incident in this thread.

But I found this website: http://comedymovies.about.com/library/weekly/aa112000a.htm

And I quote...
"Crispin Glover: genius, cult king, and so much more than a 'tall creepy guy.'"

Everyone reading this post has been forewarned!

--Rob
12-26-02 02:18 PM
jb When watching the previews before "Lord of the rings", they advertised a new trilogy DVD of that god awful "Back to the Future" crap.
12-26-02 02:18 PM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
My p[osts have been, at a minimum, 85% informative and entertaining.

I love when people comend themselves... Just like Evil would do...
12-26-02 02:21 PM
jb You are starting a fight for no reason!!!!!!!!! You have no right to crtique my post as you have only 188..you have not been here when I was down and out..I made a tremendous and unexpected come back and people like me now, they really do!!!
12-26-02 02:23 PM
Maxlugar THAT's Crispin Glover!?

I thought he was the same guy in Pacific Heights. The guy that played Melanie Griffith's husband. Those two guys are not the same?

Anyway, what did he do on Letterman. It sounds funny.
12-26-02 02:32 PM
Highwire Rob My bad. I guess they weren't potato chips after all. Here's a quote of the Letterman proceedings from the link I posted previously:

"In the film [Rubin and Ed, 1991], Rubin forces Ed (Howard Hesseman) to take him to the desert to bury his cat. The film could easily have just been written off as Crispin, Johnny Fever, and a dead cat (who can eat a whole watermelon), but it's Crispin's performance that makes the film. He furthered the performance's resonance with a Late Night appearance where, in character, he became frustrated with Letterman's lack of interest in his insect collection and tried to kick the host in the face with one of his character's trademark platform shoes. Eat your heart out, Farrah Faucett."

[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-26-02 04:45 PM
Joey Actually , Crispin Glover is best known for his magnificent portrayal of " Bruce Ewing " , Jock Ewing 's gay son on the television show " Dallas " .

The character Bruce was not given much airtime and really was considered the " Black Sheep " in a very very disfunctional family . In the show , he worked as a Chef at the famed " Cattleman's Club " restaurant , you know the one , where Larry Hagman { J. R. } , made all of his dastardily " business deals " like mortgaging the family home to pay for some off-shore oil leases , etc ...............The character Bruce's final performace came at the very end of the ' 84 season when Bobby Ewing { Patrick Duffy } caught him trying on his wife Pamela's clothes ......................the camera panned on an enraged Bobby coming right towards little Brucey and then the camera faded to black .............

.................all you heard then was what sounded like a sledgehammer hitting an cement block .

Shudder...................

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ JOEY }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

12-26-02 04:47 PM
Joey " You are starting a fight for no reason!!!!!!!!! You have no right to crtique my post as you have only 188..you have not been here when I was down and out..I made a tremendous and unexpected come back and people like me now, they really do!!! "

GO ISRAEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J. Monkey Shine

12-26-02 09:29 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
THAT's Crispin Glover!?

I thought he was the same guy in Pacific Heights. The guy that played Melanie Griffith's husband. Those two guys are not the same?

Max,
You're right. Matthew Modine (Pacific Heights) and Crispin Glover look eerily similar... I wonder....
12-26-02 10:48 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
jb wrote:
I made a tremendous and unexpected come back and people like me now, they really do!!!

So you're really Mr. Sally Field?
yikes.....
12-27-02 10:48 AM
jb Thanks Joey!!!!
12-27-02 10:52 AM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
You are starting a fight for no reason!!!!!!!!! You have no right to crtique my post as you have only 188..you have not been here when I was down and out..I made a tremendous and unexpected come back and people like me now, they really do!!!

Pardon? Starting a fight, I think not, I actually have 190 posts, just for the record.
12-27-02 04:22 PM
Joey " Thanks Joey!!!! "

Anytime my Miami living , Persian lineag - ing , Denver ignoring , MSG attending , funny upside down roof building , rice eating , Yoko Emigrating , tsunami fearing , lousy economy dealing , ...............wait , wrong rant , pal ...............My Bad !!!!!!!!!!

The Wall Was Just Warmed Over Arthur !

Joey the Poetry Man