ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Mrs. and Mr. Von Kinky Kink Kinko Kinkily!
The new Maxlette is here! b. January 1st, 2003 11:21 A.M. EST

Art by Drew Friedman spoiled by a dirty voodoo boy working for the company!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sitting on a Fence Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-23-02 07:02 PM
Nasty Habits
So there's this guy who's been coming into the record store for the past two weeks -- I've never seen him before his recent visits. He is the very essence of what many of you might picture when you think of a Western North Carolinian -- a toothless, chinless, unshaven, barely articulate, always wears the same clothes -- we are talking MOUNTAIN FOLK here -- he is such a stereotype it's crazy.

Anyway, he brings me used CDs. Not so strange in and of itself, it's just that he's been RELENTLESS in the past two weeks. And the CDs he's bringing me are, well, the Stones remasters. Nothing so strange in that -- I have been buying the hell out of used CDs this season. People are selling stuff off so they can afford Christmas presents. I've been feeling more like a pawnshop than a retail business lately.

But here's the deal. This guy has brought me: THREE copies of Hot Rocks. THREE Copies of Beggar's Banquet. THREE copies of Out of Our Heads (US), TWO copies of Ya - Ya's, a 40 Licks, a Fazed Cookies, a Big Hits and a Through the Past Darkly, a Sticky FIngers and a Some Girls, a No Security and a Stripped.

I've dealt with lots of dudes who have brought me goods that may or may not be "hot" before. In the past, I've always either mocked them, called them on their theivery, or offered them such insultingly low prices that they have gone away and not bothered me again.

But this guy is hitting me where I live, bringing me Stones CDs. And to be honest, I don't know that he is stealing these things. But who buys three copies of Hot Rocks for 30 whatever bucks and is ok with turning over all three of them for nine or whatever it was I offered?

What do you all think? Should I continue to fence for this mountain guy, or should I tell him to hit the road? The situation is escalating - he brings me more and more shit every day.

But, man, it's all quite tasty. Even the non-Stones stuff is high demand used CDs, which are a scarce commodity in my city.

Feeling like I'm on a slippery ethical slope here, people.
12-23-02 07:19 PM
stonedinaustralia nasty - doesn't this come with the turf of dealing second- hand stuff??

why' don't you just ask him?? - if he's as thick as you describe then a man of your intellectual alacrity should be able to get the truth out of him in seconds flat

or take the cynical view - ask no questions...get told no lies...you're just a pawn in the insurance game...

i guess you could call the cops and see if they've got any reports relating to such stuff being stolen - but i'd always hesitate before involving the authorities - any action with them is rarely cool (as i'm sure you appreciate)...

i sympathize...it mustn't be easy, for to live outside the law you must be honest...
12-23-02 07:30 PM
Nasty Habits Oh, yeah -- I mean, the guy, he says stuff to me like, "Yeah, people ask me if this stuff is stolen, and I tell 'em - here's my license, here's my number, call me up if you have any problems. I keep my stuff new! Don't let other people touch it! My mom, she keeps the house free of dust!"

Volunteering this sort of cover story without me even asking is a sure sign that he's "hiding" something.

Truth to tell, I don't guess I care -- it is decidedly better than having to deal with turning away one of those CD wallet salespeole who have obviously nicked said wallet from somebody's automobile -- these are most likely coming from a chain store, and lawd knows that I needs all the help fighting that particular Best buy big bad behemoth.

Actually, know what?

I've decided this guy is Santa Claus.

So he can bring me all the CDs he wants.

Because I've been so nice this year.

Never mind.
12-23-02 07:36 PM
stonedinaustralia ...and look at this way - you may also be helping make sure some poor innocent child has a happy xmas (either that or some drug dealer)

i htink you're right...he probably is santa

btw/ did you hear the one about the dyslexic devil worshipper??... he sold his soul to santa...
12-24-02 06:30 AM
Cant Catch Me Hey Nasty, would you be able to tell, always, if the CDs are from the label(s) but outside the regular retail channel, that is they're promos for radio stations or reviewers perhaps? It could be he has a line on a source or two associated with the music industry, hence the duplicate copies, but those CDs are marked with stickers or are cutouts, right?
I've always been fascinated with the used CD business and pay close attention to what's going on, what's new in stock, what's not, etc., when I'm in a store and it seems like the stores I go to get several "used" copies of a big new release as soon as it's out, and I presume it's from those quasi-industry sources.
12-24-02 11:47 AM
Nasty Habits Can't Catch Me --

Usually radio station promos have their UPC codes destroyed in some way or another, either through a crude scraping through the cardboard, a hole punch, or a digital line running through the middle so they can't be scanned and resold at retail prices. Or they'll cut the corners on the covers, or take a sharpie and write "promo" across the front. Or, right, stickers, or gold foil stamps. Some companies are actually embedding digital messages at the end of CDs that go "you are listening to a promotional CD -- if you have purchased this CD from a retail outlet for any price, you were ripped off. Either return it to the store and complain or call xxx-xxx-xxxxx and we'll burn them good." Or words to that effect.

But trust me, this guy does not have industry connections. I operate out of Asheville, NC -- there are no actual functioning radio stations here in the city proper any more -- they are pure Clear Channel satellite hell. There are no industry connections.

I used to be on the promo gravy trains when I had my store back in Missouri -- I know what radio promos and promo people look and feel like -- this one is weirder than that by far.

No, elves are manufacturing these little trinkets for my toothless Santa in a Bass Pro cap anto bring to me, so I might enjoy the pleasures of the remastered Rolling Stones.

And, hoo boy, beyond Don't Stop, which is brilliant, what the fuck is up with those tracks on 40 Licks?

And what is that thing in your profile, anyway, can't catch me?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
12-24-02 12:36 PM
Maxlugar "I operate out of Asheville, NC -- there are no actual functioning radio stations here in the city proper any more"

This sounds like a great place to start up my soon to be launched radio network 102.4 KMAX.

You want to be general manager, Nasty?

Actually, I think I already gave that job to Riffhard a while back.

Hows about Grand Imperial Engineer In Charge of All Things Good and Funky?

Pays good too!

12-24-02 02:03 PM
Nasty Habits If it pays well, I there. If it does not pay well, and you let me play all things good and funky on the air, then I there! I will work at KMAX for rent, food, and promos! My only purpose in life is to inflict ROCK on people!

I am perfect for KMAX -- bring it to Asheville and we will FAIL SPECTACULARLY!

Which is better than succeeding with mediocrity, in my skrewed up opinon (IMSUO).

PAX, MAX

Nasty!

12-24-02 05:56 PM
Fiji Joe Nasty...I know the type...I have been to several flea markets in that area and there are always people selling hot or countefeit merchandise...I grew up In Winston-Salem...You shouldn't complain, Asheville is a wonderful town and as I understand, quite the mecca these days for the urban yuppie and dare I say, yankee types...I recommend you tell this dirty toothless dude to get in as many people's faces as he can...maybe they'll go back home...roll with it
12-24-02 09:07 PM
~AzQb

"There goes the last DJ...who plays what he wants to play...who says what he wants to say..." -T.RighTeousIndeedPetty
12-26-02 08:22 PM
Cant Catch Me Since in the retail industry WalMart is the equivalent of the Antichrist, or perhaps worse, if it turns out this guy is stealing from Sam Walton & Co. maybe you should thank him, urge him to keep up the good work and then inquire about whether he can pinch some individual titles for you on commission.

And, Nasty, I replied to your query about my tongue(s) in the Five Clash Songs thread, but I'll ask you again here ... FOUR cars?
12-26-02 09:01 PM
Nasty Habits I completely missed your response, CCM, but now that I've reviewed it I would like to clarify -- I have gone through FOUR cars since I got my Rolling Stones tongue air freshener, but I still have it. It resides in my fourth car as we speak. Earlier this year it rotted off its string, and I took the opportunity to touch it up, repaired it with some tape, and there it hangs. There it will hang til the day I die. Never ever have I been stoned enough to sell a car but forget my air freshener. I did have a red car with a tongue sticker on the back of it once, and when I sold it, I took it off. The paint had faded around it, leaving a tongue shaped imprint on the back of the car. It was so cool looking I wanted to keep the car because of it, but that would have been mad.

12-26-02 09:16 PM
stonedinaustralia nasty further to the Asheville references in the thread - i came across the name in a book i read recently - "the birth of the cool" by lewis macadams - pretty good

anyway, asheville gets quite a few mentions because of the "black mountain college" which is (or was) just down the road from you

john cage wrote and performed there... maybe the stones should do a cover of "4'33""!!?

hope you had a rocking xmas

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-26-02 09:32 PM
Fiji Joe Black Mountain...home of Brad Daugherty...SIA, I also understand that Asheville is gaining quite the reputation as a haven for the practicing of witchcraft...
12-26-02 09:39 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
...home of Brad Daugherty...

thanx feej - scuse my ignorance but who is the abovenamed...
12-26-02 09:41 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
nasty further to the Asheville references in the thread - i came across the name in a book i read recently - "the birth of the cool" by lewis macadams - pretty good

anyway, asheville gets quite a few mentions because of the "black mountain college" which is (or was) just down the road from you

john cage wrote and performed there... maybe the stones should do a cover of "4'33""!!?

hope you had a rocking xmas

I friggin' Nolte'd, sia. Ooooooh my aching head. And I had to go into work this morning on account of our counter person went home to see her mom and dad for Christmas. Man oh man am I rough. And to think that I am actually considering using the next two and a half hours to try to take advantage of E-Bay's free listing day. What a glutton for punishment. The party was great -- me and another dude and six gorgeous women of various nationalities - Canadian, Jamaican, Irish, & 3 'Mericans -- not bad company at all. It was at the Irish woman's house, and she filled us all up on wine, as is Irish custom, I suppose. I vaguely remember leading a line of people around the house to Huey Piano Smith's amazing "Twas the Night Before Christmas" album, which is the finest, most rockin' non Spectorian rock 'n' roll Christmas record ever made.

Black Mountain College was one crazy place in the 50s and 60s, to be sure. They recently tried to restart the avante garde happenings around the area. I'd tell you how the '02 happening went, but I was seeing the Stones in Philadelphia, which tells you how unvante garde I am.

Lord knows that there is a LOT to recommend Asheville - it's very beautiful and more than a little weird. But other than a certain record store, there is not a lot of rock and roll.

Santa Claus did not show up today. I think he went back to the North Pole Shelter.

12-26-02 09:42 PM
Fiji Joe Oh, yeah, you're from down under...Brad Daugherty was a pretty good basketball player at the university of North Carolina who started at the age of 17...had a great NBA career until back injuries forced him out of the game...he now does commentary for college basketball on ESPN...he is not a practitioner of witchcraft...
12-26-02 10:00 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
...he is not a practitioner of witchcraft...

thanx for clearing that up feej 'cos that was the inference i drew...

glad to here you had a good time nasty - best rest up for new year's - is ms. wells' band doing any shows around the place??

my xmas was quiet in one way - no big deals from santa but speaking of exotic women a few simple twists of fate has put one in my path just recently...'tho born in australia her family was european (in particular austrian) anyway she went to high school in austria ...came back here for awhile and then spent another lengthy period over there so she's kind of australian with a heavy streak of this "germanic cool" thing going on...still, she's riot as well - she's quite a girl...

did "german girls" get a mention in the song "some girls" - i don't think they did...
12-26-02 10:12 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

did "german girls" get a mention in the song "some girls" - i don't think they did...

No, but on an outtake I think Mick says:

"German girls want me to be a good little boy or I shall get a spanking!"

12-27-02 01:21 AM
Cant Catch Me A basketball player, now damn that's disappointing, I thought maybe you were going to say he was Shannon Doherty's father or something like that, in which case I would have been semi-interested.
12-27-02 06:37 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

non Spectorian rock 'n' roll Christmas record ever made.

They recently tried to restart the avante garde happenings around the area.

yes, a big mistake trying to "restart" an avant garde happening - or maybe not... it's all too hard!!

btw/unvant garde is the new cool

speaking of spector and with joe passing and your nomination of "The Card Cheat" in your clash top five - one of my favourites too - so, i took a sentimental journey through joe's stuff that i have to hand and came across this , from mick jones - herein lies the truth - "We recorded everything twice, we double tracked everything. Two pianos, two drums, two basses, there's two of everything on that track. That's what makes the sound, that's what the secret is, two of everything"

that guy stevens was a way out dude - he had a hand in "whiter shade of pale" and (apparently) was in on the ground-floor when chris blackwell colonized the west indies and about a thousand other things and gave joe a montgomery clift biog. and told him to write a song and so the right profile

12-27-02 07:21 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

where is that man?
12-27-02 07:34 AM
Maxlugar Asheville is starting to sound even more like the correct choice for the Rocks Off Summit '03!

Spooky!

Maxy Price!
12-27-02 10:17 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Asheville is starting to sound even more like the correct choice for the Rocks Off Summit '03!

Spooky!

Maxy Price!

And you haven't even heard about the lei lines and the UFOs yet!

Nasty Fort

12-27-02 10:39 AM
Sir Stonesalot WTF? Nasty....WHY ARE YOU HOLDING OUT ON ME?

You are gobbling up low cost remasters, AND NOT OFFERING THEM TO ME?

You must be MAD!

E me with a list & prices. Right fuckin' NOW. Damn it.
12-27-02 10:49 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

This sounds like a great place to start up my soon to be launched radio network 102.4 KMAX.

You want to be general manager, Nasty?

Hows about Grand Imperial Engineer In Charge of All Things Good and Funky?

Pays good too!

Do you need a gopher perhaps, I'm small furry and gopher like.

12-27-02 10:51 AM
jb I shall burn that Captain Robbie Knievel doll if you don't afford me the respect I've earned here.
12-27-02 10:54 AM
Scottfree Sitting on a fence is a great song, it needs to be played on WMAX 102.4, my first request.
12-27-02 10:58 AM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
I shall burn that Captain Robbie Knievel doll if you don't afford me the respect I've earned here.

You'll only pollute the air with toxins hurting not only Robbie, but yourself as well. Actually this is evil in act or action figure.
12-27-02 10:59 AM
nankerphelge Lei lines???

Page: 1 2